FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean car insurance

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    Even though their website states it you still need to make sure that it is in writing in "your policy".

What is verbally stated/said and what can be written in other than in your policy does not mean you are covered
    if it is not written in your policy.

Just my .02 and you know, CYA.

Policy does not state anything about mileage. I’m not sure what there is to worry about. They can’t hold you to anything spoken when the policy and website elude to a different policy.

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    I pay $195 for $25k coverage from Grundy. I drive it whenever I want as far as I want because their website states in writing unlimited mileage.
    Yes, but you can't drive wherever you want. At least from what they told me. Driving more than a few times a month to work? No. Regular trips to the supermarket. No.

If you get into an accident and they find you've been driving to work often or something like that you may be in trouble.

I've spoken with just about every insurance company that does collectors insurance in PA, some multiple times. If you want to use the car for transportation, and not just for joyrides, even if its only in good weather and with another primary daily driver, they won't cover it. I found one company that would, but only with a 5k mileage cap.

My VIN:    10907

This is what my policy says:

K. "Classic vehicle" means a motor vehicle of unique or rare design and of limited
    production that is an object of curiosity and:
    1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest or for a
    private collection; and
    2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.
    But they don't define what "infrequently" means. That's what I was asking the rep about, and she said driving to work 50-60 days a year would be acceptable. Working 5 days out of 10 instead of 6 out of 7 this year and having my CRX back in DD condition I haven't even come close to that this year but I make sure I track and document it just so I have something to argue if the worst happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    This is what my policy says:

But they don't define what "infrequently" means. That's what I was asking the rep about, and she said driving to work 50-60 days a year would be acceptable. Working 5 days out of 10 instead of 6 out of 7 this year and having my CRX back in DD condition I haven't even come close to that this year but I make sure I track and document it just so I have something to argue if the worst happens.
    What a representative tells you and what is in writing in your policy are not the same. They can tell you anything. You do need to have it in writing.

I found out this the hard way years ago. What the representative verbally told me and then when someone ran into my car they would not cover the claim because it was not in writing in my policy. They said what the representative said does not mean it is in the policy. Very expensive lesson learned.

You need to C.Y.A. to make sure you are covered. Don't save a few dollars and hope nothing ever happens. Again, I learned the hard way with insurance companies.

With many insurance companies if you want to drive it as a daily driver or run errands or just a nice drive other than
    special collector car events you cannot insure it as a collector vehicle and must be regular insurance.
    Check your policy for this.

Make sure you get the usage definitions clearly explained in writing.

I agree with Jason.

My .02 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Yes, but you can't drive wherever you want. At least from what they told me. Driving more than a few times a month to work? No. Regular trips to the supermarket. No.

If you get into an accident and they find you've been driving to work often or something like that you may be in trouble.

I've spoken with just about every insurance company that does collectors insurance in PA, some multiple times. If you want to use the car for transportation, and not just for joyrides, even if its only in good weather and with another primary daily driver, they won't cover it. I found one company that would, but only with a 5k mileage cap.
    1.jpg2.jpg

Here is what Grundy website says. Their rule is very loose. As long as it is not your daily driver and you keep it in a garage you can do whatever you want.

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    1.jpg2.jpg

Here is what Grundy website says. Their rule is very loose. As long as it is not your daily driver and you keep it in a garage you can do whatever you want.
    Notice is says "pleasure driving only". I know from talking with them that their idea of "pleasure driving only" is not often to work or to stores. You can definitely not do whatever you want, at least according to them. I have no idea what would happen if they tried to deny a claim and it went to court.

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    What a representative tells you and what is in writing in your policy are not the same. They can tell you anything. You do need to have it in writing.
    [...]

Make sure you get the usage definitions clearly explained in writing.
    My conversation with the rep was via email so hopefully that counts as "in writing". The policy never specifically states a number or percentage for what constitutes "infrequently" so the agent's number of acceptable driving days is all I have to go on.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Pleasure driving is open to interpretation. As long as you are not regularly using it to commute, and can show it was "pleasure" you *might* be OK. An accident at 8:00 in the morning on a weekday during rush hour may be hard to explain.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Pleasure driving is open to interpretation. As long as you are not regularly using it to commute, and can show it was "pleasure" you *might* be OK. An accident at 8:00 in the morning on a weekday during rush hour may be hard to explain.
    We had a little parking lot party at work a couple of months ago and people asked me to "bring the Delorean" so I drove my D a) to work b) at 8 am c) on a weekday d) in heavy traffic and that very thought was churning in my mind the whole way there.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    10201

Any drive in my DeLorean is a pleasure drive. That's why I got the car in the first place.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast