FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Just got my project DeLorean....

My VIN:    01955

Good luck Peter!!

This is going to be test for you to get this car back to life! Don't give up!!

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Just got my project DeLorean....

My tank looked clean but only to realize it was not the bottom I was looking at, but the slump tar that covered the tank.

Got it cleaned easily by filling a gallon of fresh gas, and then scraped the bottom clean first with a flat tool and then with some cloths.

A view from my tank after a few cleaning strokes

That was a tank of 20+ years immobility.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    10985

Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated.

Simon, this car has been my dream since I was 6... I've put everything I am into getting the cash together for her, nothing could make me give up! If I have to replace every single component, panel, nut and bolt I will!

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

As others have wrote, get the tank cleaned out and start from there. Once you have got that all cleaned up and power to the pump then disconnect the fuel line to the metering head and pump fresh petrol to the metering head whilst the fuel line is disconnected. In the past I have connected this line to the return to the pump and pumped fresh petrol back to the tank as well (clearly discarding it as it came down the return line to the tank) This has worked for me on several occasions now. Well worth video to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCAG2IUb3E
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    6125

Congrats on the purchase and I hope you have lots of fun working on it!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Glad to see that you have finally got the car of your dreams Peter. Sure, you have a long road ahead, and no doubt we will be see a bit of you on here, but good luck.

A suggestion is to just give the interior an initial couple hundred dollar make-over and then leave it; Get a couple of cheap car seat covers, a dash mat and take the carpets out and give them a wash.

Then get the mechanical stuff sorted out first so you can go for a drive and get a bit of an adrenaline bump from that.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Sorry to bump an aging thread, but I am really struggling to find Lacquer Thinners in New Zealand.. I can't get Seafoam or Chemtool either... I can get acrylic, enamel and general purpose thinners, would any of these do? I don't want to melt the plastic!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBiggerstaff View Post
    Sorry to bump an aging thread, but I am really struggling to find Lacquer Thinners in New Zealand.. I can't get Seafoam or Chemtool either... I can get acrylic, enamel and general purpose thinners, would any of these do? I don't want to melt the plastic!
    You won't hurt the plastic. Lacquer Thinner and Acetone are very aggressive solvents and won't hurt the tank. Enamel paint thinners are typically less volatile/less strong.

Did you try for acetone?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Did you try for acetone?
    Yes, I can get acetone easily, again I was worried it may be too strong... I tried cleaning the face of a plastic watch once... it melted the plastic!

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBiggerstaff View Post
    Yes, I can get acetone easily, again I was worried it may be too strong... I tried cleaning the face of a plastic watch once... it melted the plastic!
    The tank is polyethylene plastic. I can't think of any commercially available solvent that would affect it. You should use a suitable chemical resistant glove when working in the tank. Acetone is pretty nasty stuff and easily absorbed in your skin.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast