FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Tips on removing and installing door fixed glass.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Tips on removing and installing door fixed glass.

In going to be removing the glass from a damaged door and installing into a new bare one, should I glue the window in the new door before it's put on the car or after, or even after the door is aligned. Since the glass is some what structural to the door in not sure when the best time is for it to be set. Plus with the rediculous cost of new fixed windows I can't afford to screw up.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    In going to be removing the glass from a damaged door and installing into a new bare one, should I glue the window in the new door before it's put on the car or after, or even after the door is aligned. Since the glass is some what structural to the door in not sure when the best time is for it to be set. Plus with the rediculous cost of new fixed windows I can't afford to screw up.
    Best off the car. No pre-loads, most straight it will be. Assuming it's a straight door to start with.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Ok, it's a Nos door. Hardest part will be to not scratch it.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Ok, it's a Nos door. Hardest part will be to not scratch it.
    Pick up a 2x6 and make a rectangle. Also pick up 3/8 copper pipe wrap foam. (the slit type that slides over) and line the top of the box. Best way to do it.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

The hardest part may be getting the metal frame for the toll booth window mounted onto the fixed glass - getting the rubber seal and the glass together was a serious pain when I did it. If you are buying all new parts from DMC I'd inquire about having the metal frame and rubber seal applied to the glass before it ships, and pay the labor to let someone there do it. I put many hours into doing it myself and was only 95% successful. It's a major pain and I hope to never do it again.

I'd also suggest getting the full power window assembly installed and operational, with the wipe seal etc. and then fit the fixed glass to the the window when the toll booth window is in the raised position. Dry fit several times and make sure you are happy with window travel before putting in the glass permanently. Speaks to your desire to not have to do it twice.

I did it this way when I replaced drivers side glass - except in my case the door was already mounted on the car.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Pick up a 2x6 and make a rectangle. Also pick up 3/8 copper pipe wrap foam. (the slit type that slides over) and line the top of the box. Best way to do it.

Line the roof box or the top edge of the door with the foam tube?

Job all done, Removed the old door. Cut out the glass and prepped it for the new door, The metal divider stayed attached to the fixed glass fine. Man that glue is damn strong, New door assembled and installed. Really surprised how nice it fits this car, with a bit more adjusting it would open and shut perfect, Amazing for a 1100 series car. In total it took me under 5 hours to do myself. Not bad for my first Delorean door swap.

20140907_114041.jpg20140907_114047.jpg20140907_114058.jpg20140907_120619.jpg20140914_151442.jpg20140914_170343.jpg
    Attached Images

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

so when does the fixed glass outer seal come into play? After it is glued in or during?

As per the service manual, Its glued in with the glass, you use alot of urethane and space the glass from the door about 1/4" and the rubber goes in that gap. I could have reused it but I replaced the seal and used snips of the old seal as spacers to get the gap right until the glue hardened enough to hold the glass. IT was tricky but im sure if I had done this on a tall stand like windshield installers use it would have been much easier.