FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on thickening the side stripe? Photoshopped examples...

My VIN:    01960

Thoughts on thickening the side stripe? Photoshopped examples...

One of the things I've been considering for my D now that I have it (woo hoo!) is adding the thick side stripe. However, I've always been bothered by the thickness of it and how it doesn't match up with the size of the bumper. So I asked my resident photoshop expert (the wife) to try a couple versions for me to see what the stripe might look like thicker. I'm definitely liking the version that matches up with the bumper... and I was very surprised that I kind of liked the version that extends to the rocker panels and almost makes it a two-tone car. Admittedly, I got that idea by one of the Hot Wheels toys that had the picture like that.

Side stripes 1.jpgSide stripes 2.jpgSide stripes 3.jpgSide stripes 4.jpg

Thoughts / opinions? I searched but didn't find anybody else that had this same thought or tried it, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who's had this thought...

Oh, and here's the same picture with the original side stripe for easy comparison...

Side stripes - original.jpg

My VIN:    5482

I'm not trying to make this into another side-stripe debate as we've had those before here... although I guess we are about due for another.

Have you considered making the stripe thinner instead? Personally I've never been a fan of the side-stripe but I have seen a small pinstripe-like mod that didn't look too bad. It was more of a grey than black, which I thought looked better against the stainless anyways.
    Last edited by OverlandMan; 09-08-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammer/punctuation
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    I'm not trying to make this into another side-stripe debate as we've had those before here... although I guess we are about due for another.

Have you considered making the stripe thinner instead? Personally I've never been a fan of the side-stripe but I have seen a small pinstripe-like mod that didn't look too bad. It was more of a grey than black, which I thought looked better against the stainless anyways.
    I didn't find a lot of debate on this when I searched... is this a tired topic? Sorry if it is.

I tried a quick version of the thinner stripe actually, and I didn't like it personally. I didn't try it gray though... I'll try it, although like I said, I like the look of it connecting aesthetically with the bumper so it being gray will break that up.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by rileydawgg View Post
    I didn't find a lot of debate on this when I searched... is this a tired topic? Sorry if it is.

I tried a quick version of the thinner stripe actually, and I didn't like it personally. I didn't try it gray though... I'll try it, although like I said, I like the look of it connecting aesthetically with the bumper so it being gray will break that up.
    I recall participating in one or two in the past couple of years. No big deal... I was more or less saying it in good humor.
    Jeff

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

personally, im not a fan of the lower black side stripe. that said, looking at the mockups i like the 1st one the best. extends the stripe to match the widths of the black part of the bumpers but still has that smaller lower black stripe to give it a bit of flair.
    all solid makes it look too chunky/blocky.

Good work on the Photoshop job, rileydawgg!

#4 reminds me of the DeLorean that was black on top and copper from the side trim down. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere, although I can't seem to find it at the moment. Think inverted on-end Duracell battery.

Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    that said, looking at the mockups i like the 1st one the best. extends the stripe to match the widths of the black part of the bumpers but still has that smaller lower black stripe to give it a bit of flair.
    all solid makes it look too chunky/blocky.
    Ditto. Looks much better when it matches the bumper height.

Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    personally, im not a fan of the lower black side stripe.
    Not ditto -- I'm personally a fan of the side stripes (and occasionally think about one for 559), but to each his own.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Truthfully I am not a fan of the wider stripe; especially the one that covers the area below the side trim. Looks way too much like a 2 tone fiero...

Honestly I've always liked the idea of a double stripe going down the center if the car; curious how it would look.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Truthfully I am not a fan of the wider stripe; especially the one that covers the area below the side trim. Looks way too much like a 2 tone fiero...

Honestly I've always liked the idea of a double stripe going down the center if the car; curious how it would look.
    I've seen somebody do the center stripes somewhere in my googling of side stripes. I'll see if I can find it... it definitely looked weird to me.

On a Fiero note, the sitting position with the big console is probably the most familiar feeling of sitting in a DeLorean that I've experienced albeit a bit more cramped. But one thing I will say for those cars... the speakers in the seat headrests were pretty cool.

i wouldn't mind bigger side stripes.Its mostly because there's a dent on the driver side door that is super conspicuous because of the door shine. Side stripes would probably make it a lot less obvious.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast