FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Theft / Door Popper Solutions

Anti-Theft / Door Popper Solutions

I am looking for alternatives to Wings-A-Loft. There, is that simple enough for you guys?

Honestly, good lord in heaven. Keep it civil guys, and knock off the bullshit drama.

Bumping this thread so it's seen over the old and flame-war'd version which I am now abandoning and seems to have been completely missed by the moderation staff for the past two hours (where the hell are they? )

And just to reiterate: keep it civil!

Banned

My VIN:    1798

No direct ready-to-drop-in alternative solution is available, at least none that I'm aware of anyway.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Uhhhh...

Shep. I thought I might have some insights that would help you. I took my time, late at night, to try to help you. I'm sorry you felt my information was attacking you in any way. I am sorry - really.

I don't want to see you running in circles if the established solution can work for you after all.

Something I said, or the way I've said it has really set you off somehow, and I apologize. I'll do my best to not respond to your posts in the future as it seems like I've rubbed you the wrong way by trying to help, but if you ever run across a post that I've put up that raises any questions or you need more info on, you are welcome to contact me.

If you would like an apology via PM, happy to do that as well, I'm just not sure what to apologize for. I was trying to help you get what you wanted out of your car.

I wish you all the best with your Delorean experience.

Sincerely,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    No direct ready-to-drop-in alternative solution is available, at least none that I'm aware of anyway.

NOW we're getting somewhere. Major, major thanks NightFlyer!

Okay, so maybe I should clarify a couple points:

- It does not need to be one single unit for every function. I can go with a generic anti-theft (I've seen a few pictures floating around of DeLoreans with aftermarket systems installed, and have personally sat in another), and a generic door popper and/or remote relay activator. I know they have generics of both -- my mom's old Dodge Caravan had an aftermarket security system, and I've seen Pimp My Ride episodes where they add remote door opening and remove the handles entirely. This is what I'm trying to accomplish, minus the "removing the door handles part". I simply do not know what brand/make/model/type/etc. these systems are nor where to begin looking for them.

- It does not need to be DeLorean-specific. More to the point that everyone seemed to miss, I just wanted to know what's already been used in DeLoreans. I know there is a ready-made kit. What else is there? What features does it come with? Etc. etc. that's why I made this thread in the first place.

Thank you again for keeping it civil, as I was trying to accomplish all along.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Uhhhh...

Shep. I thought I might have some insights that would help you. I took my time, late at night, to try to help you. I'm sorry you felt my information was attacking you in any way. I am sorry - really.

I don't want to see you running in circles if the established solution can work for you after all
    [...]
    If you would like an apology via PM, happy to do that as well, I'm just not sure what to apologize for. I was trying to help you get what you wanted out of your car.

I wish you all the best with your Delorean experience.

Sincerely,

Tom.

Okay, now I'm REALLY confused. I read your post and it came across completely differently than what you describe here. No need to apologize via PM or anything, really, it was a misunderstanding on my part, but what confuses me more is how it was a misunderstanding on everyone else's part and devolved into a flame war about me allegedly "dissing" Toby's products and service etc. I don't know if I worded something wrong or what, but this thread was all I was trying to accomplish when was blindsided with anger and hatred. I still can't figure out why it happened. Sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for clearing all that up. Hopefully everyone else will take suit and respect the fact that you were trying to help rather than starting a really nonexistent rampage that others joined in on and made a reality.

No hard feelings Tom, none at all! I'm very glad you cleared that all up. Leaves me more confused than before, and still more questions than answers, but at least the biggest question is answered.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Something I said, or the way I've said it has really set you off somehow, and I apologize. I'll do my best to not respond to your posts in the future as it seems like I've rubbed you the wrong way by trying to help, but if you ever run across a post that I've put up that raises any questions or you need more info on, you are welcome to contact me.
    Oh now let's not go that far. Simple misunderstanding on my part from the tone of your post. No need to cut me out of your communication circle entirely. Frankly, my apologies go out to you for getting you involved in this mess. Say what you will about what my intent was, any towards your directions was ill-conceived and misguided. No harm no foul.

Tell you what, I'll shoot you a PM about this Wings-A-Loft deal. Maybe there's a way to get it to do what I want after all

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I have seen people use generic keyless entry modules in DeLoreans. Never have I seen or heard of another system that opens the doors. No one else has done the legwork to develop the actuators to open the doors. If someone had, they would likely have to be pretty active helping people trouble shoot. Even Wings-a-loft doesn't work on all cars, which is why people like Toby and Dave are available to help troubleshoot. You have to have your doors aligned pretty precisely to be able to open on their own; something many DeLoreans do not have.

Edit: Also I dont really know how door poppers relate to anti-theft, but plenty of DeLoreans have had alarms put on them. A few days ago DMCW Dave posted about all the alarms he had installed that had been very poorly installed that he had removed.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 09-09-2014 at 09:37 PM.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I don't think even M-B SLS have door poppers.

Not counting the emergency pyrotechnic hinge pins of course.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    16619

So here is an idea that you could possibly try if you're up for it.

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104B.html This was posted in another thread, I personally don't have this product but since seeing it a few days ago, I am planning on installing this in mine. Now from the looks of it, it doesn't come with a solenoid/linear motor for Door Popper/Trunk release, but does come with the function for it. So basically you would need a spring loaded solenoid or linear motor (either hand picked or just get something for a modern car with Trunk release). Instead of release trunk, you'll be releasing door handle when used.

Now I can't say how the alarm is like, but frankly with a Smart Key, you'll have pretty solid security considering that module will control your ACC, IGN ON and Cranking relays. While I personally do not work on Smart key systems for Nissan, I am in the same group as the people that do and I have a pretty good familiarity with it and it's really not something easily hackable. Tbh, I never heard anyone hacking the signal for Smart Key system and to modify it back to the point of hot wiring it and stealing it would be essentially impractical to steal.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Never have I seen or heard of another system that opens the doors. No one else has done the legwork to develop the actuators to open the doors. If someone had, they would likely have to be pretty active helping people trouble shoot.
    That underlined part most definitely answered a lot of questions. Thank you Nicholas! Okay, so it's not a matter of the system being a one-of-a-kind, it's the actuators. That makes a lot, lot more sense than what I was previously thinking. So the actuators are DeLorean-specific then, but the wiring to them, not necessarily.

You have to have your doors aligned pretty precisely to be able to open on their own; something many DeLoreans do not have.
    Good to know, so if I have any problems, I more than likely "just" need a door alignment (intentional quotes there). Already got one, but that was before my driver's door was beaned with my own mailbox (damn pothole), so that I'm not 100% sure on.

Also I dont really know how door poppers relate to anti-theft
    Mostly because Wings-A-Loft offers both, and I was curious if there were any similar packages.

Okay, so what this whole subject boils down to is this:
    - Solenoids won't work period (which I've read elsewhere but will reiterate for clarity)
    - Actuators will work, however only DMCNW has developed them (no other vendor has as of yet)
    - The rest of the system to interface with the actuators may or may not be off-the-shelf, adapted, etc, but either way it works

That third and last point has me curious now. I've seen commercials for new cars with systems where a smartphone app can be used to perform various features of a car (lock, unlock, raise/lower windows, activate alarm, etc.). As far as I know, DMCNW doesn't currently offer such a system, however I don't know if there are any third-party ones that do either. It may just be a "new car" feature yet to be replicated outside of the manufacturers. Interesting...

I'll definitely be doing more research into this kind of thing and see what I can find. Hopefully I can find a system that interfaces with my smartphone so there's one less remote in my pocket. And hey, if it works for me, maybe I can get DMCNW to start offering the same system for others to have too. I'll see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Exolis View Post
    Now I can't say how the alarm is like, but frankly with a Smart Key, you'll have pretty solid security considering that module will control your ACC, IGN ON and Cranking relays. While I personally do not work on Smart key systems for Nissan, I am in the same group as the people that do and I have a pretty good familiarity with it and it's really not something easily hackable. Tbh, I never heard anyone hacking the signal for Smart Key system and to modify it back to the point of hot wiring it and stealing it would be essentially impractical to steal.
    Not to deter you from your project, but I will say that a Google search for "Smart Key Hacking" may be enlightening for you. It's not nearly as secure as you think, only more convenient.

(Although for what it's worth, the smartphone option sounds better for me, so I'll research that more.)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast