FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Ottawa / Eastern Ontario Service Options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

Ottawa / Eastern Ontario Service Options

First post and new to the forum...

I'm likely making an offer on a DeLorean next week (been a life-long dream as most in this forum can relate to). I'm located in Ottawa, ON and wondered if any of the few D owners in my neck of the woods have a place they bring their cars to for servicing? I was thinking about Bruno's Performance on Merivale since they specialize in hot rods and classics, but not sure. I will try to do most of the small jobs myself that aren't too complicated. Being in Ottawa as opposed to the GTA makes servicing in Ohio or DMC Midwest a bit tougher.

Any suggestions?

My VIN:    3937

Welcome and good luck on your future car purchase.

I have an unofficial list of DeLoreans in Canada and I see at least eight owners in the Ottawa area. It might be out of date so I would suggest contacting Michael Borthwick via [email protected] and he can help you get in touch with someone. He helps with the club's member lists and will give out an email or name if that owner is okay with him doing so. I'll let you talk with him and figure it out. (Or get on the Facebook page for ODOC and ask there).

I expect one or more of the Ottawa owners can suggest a shop or two. I am not aware of any of them being on this forum though for certain. I personally don't know any shops there and could only give you general mechanic selecting advice, which might be to seek out someone that does Bosch systems or Volvo engines or classics or imports as you said.

Most importantly though, find someone you trust, however it is you determine that. Ask a friend or coworker that knows firsthand they trust someone's work and then go speak to him. It is just a car at the end of the day and most anyone can work on it if they try hard and have patience. Four wheels and a seat more or less. Your mechanic can let you know how important it is to you and treat it as such, but also realize it's just brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc. like every other car. For the DeLorean specific stuff like door adjustments or whatever, then you look around for specific help (like on here!). For the main stuff though, a guy you feel comfortable with is as good as any.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Great, thanks for all the info Jonathan. I will e-mail him next week if all goes well.

My VIN:    17076

Club(s):   (DOI)

Welcome to Ontario Ownership -- hopefully.

If this deal does not go through I know of two other Deloreans for sale in Ontario. A stainless one in Oakville and a red one in Thunder Bay.
    Jonathan is correct that there are several Deloreans in Ottawa. I also have local garage recommendations from some of these individuals.

Michael B
    VIN 17076

Quote Originally Posted by 17076 View Post
    Welcome to Ontario Ownership -- hopefully.

If this deal does not go through I know of two other Deloreans for sale in Ontario. A stainless one in Oakville and a red one in Thunder Bay.
    Jonathan is correct that there are several Deloreans in Ottawa. I also have local garage recommendations from some of these individuals.

Michael B
    VIN 17076
    Thanks Michael! I'll be sure to follow-up with garage recommendations if I'm successful.

Eric.

Bought a DeLorean!

Bought 5875 today!!! Great car, great seller and fair deal for both sides. It was a really fun ride back from the GTA to Ottawa. Completely exhausted right now, but can't wait to dig in my heals!

Ottawa / Eastern Ontario Service Options

Congratulations on your purchase of 5875,

I'm in Ottawa(Nepean as I like to call it)and just down the street from Bruno's so I'm assuming you are close to me. When I imported my car to Canada in 1988 I brought it to Bruno's for the DOT and they were fine at that time. I'm sure things and staff have changed in 26 years but I haven't heard anything negative about them. I would recommend finding someone you feel comfortable with, I would try dealing with places that know Volvo's like Adria near Bank & Huntclub, Kirt at Young Street Garage( his rates are high but does great work) or Jamie at Import auto in Kemptville(he's honest and is a Bosch service Centre). If you need a hand I can help from time to time. If you don't have a service manual I would highly recommend getting one as this will help in repairs and sometimes trying to diagnose issues. I do all repairs on mine as I enjoy working on it and to be honest they are very easy to work on. There are a few of us in town, two or three in Manotick one near Huntclub and Bank Street another near Orleans and two Downtown that I know of.

If you need help or would like to meet give me a shout. My only other recommendation would be to fill up at Costco(unless you don't mind the celebrity status and picture taking LOL) and be prepared for the crazy Ottawa fans hanging out their windows to look at your Delorean! Hence the reason my wife will not go in the car anymore.

Enjoy your new toy,

Stephane
    Vin 2450
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Autoboys; 09-18-2014 at 03:30 PM.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Another garage that is very honest is Scandinavian auto. Karl is friendly and always offers his help over the phone. They know about saab & Volvos. They are expensive but efficient.

I personally like to do most of the mechanical work on my cars. The Deloreans are quite easy mechanically. I did the clutch last month and it was relatively easy. I say relatively, considering I had only a jack and little stands (chandelles). I add moly compound (motorsport) to the tranny fluid and now it shift so smoothly!