FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steering Rack Oil

Steering Rack Oil

Currently rebuilding my steering rack and need to replace the oil. I believe that the original oil was 90W which I cannot find locally. For my transmission I am planning on using red line MT-90 which is 75W90. Would this work for the steering as well?

Thanks
    David

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I just put the same oil in both.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It's not particularly critical as long as you have some oil in there.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thanks for the info.

David

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Mine is leaking out..... I think it must be from one of the ends of the driver's side boot.....
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Mine is leaking out..... I think it must be from one of the ends of the driver's side boot.....
    The boots typically tear at one of the folds.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    It's not particularly critical as long as you have some oil in there.
    Is it possible to refill or exchange the oil in it without taking the steering rack out? I have the feeling that my steering is a bit stiff and I guess nobody ever checked the oil in it. The boots are fine.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by vps3922 View Post
    Is it possible to refill or exchange the oil in it without taking the steering rack out? I have the feeling that my steering is a bit stiff and I guess nobody ever checked the oil in it. The boots are fine.
    Yes, you can drain and fill the rack while it is installed in the car, but it'll probably be messy and a bit of a pain.

Unless you think the oil is contaminated or gummed up there shouldn't be a need to drain what oil is left in there and you can just top off the oil level by removing the access cover on the rack. It's just two bolts on the forward facing side of the rack. To fill, after removing the cover plate there will be some shims that come loose with the cover and a white bushing with a spring in the center. The bushing and spring hold the rack against the pinion gear and the shims adjust how much pressure is applied. Be careful to not lose the shims. From there you'll want to remove the plastic bushing and spring to make filling the rack as easy as possible. It might be possible to fill with the bushing in place (it has a hole in the center) but it would probably take a lot longer and you'd spill a bunch of oil everywhere.

If you need to drain the oil first you can loosen the boots off the end(s) of the rack and turn the wheel back and forth a few times and the oil will drain out. You'll can try and catch with with rags or just let it drip down through the frame mounting holes and catch it with a pan under the car and wipe up the mess on the frame when you're done.

Once you have the filled the oil reinstall the bushing, spring, shims, and bolt down the cover. I used a thin film of oil resistant RTV silicone to ensure a good seal, but you'll want to be sure all the mating surfaces are wiped down and free of oil beforehand.

All this is easier to do on the bench, but if you just think you need to top up the oil level it will probably be quicker to do it in the car. I rebuilt my rack with new bushings so I pulled the whole thing out.

A few pics below that may help...

Last edited by Mark D; 09-15-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Yes, you can drain and fill the rack while it is installed in the car, but it'll probably be messy and a bit of a pain.

Unless you think the oil is contaminated or gummed up there shouldn't be a need to drain what oil is left in there and you can just top off the oil level by removing the access cover on the rack. It's just two bolts on the forward facing side of the rack. To fill, after removing the cover plate there will be some shims that come loose with the cover and a white bushing with a spring in the center. The bushing and spring hold the rack against the pinion gear and the shims adjust how much pressure is applied. Be careful to not lose the shims. From there you'll want to remove the plastic bushing and spring to make filling the rack as easy as possible. It might be possible to fill with the bushing in place (it has a hole in the center) but it would probably take a lot longer and you'd spill a bunch of oil everywhere.

If you need to drain the oil first you can loosen the boots off the end(s) of the rack and turn the wheel back and forth a few times and the oil will drain out. You'll can try and catch with with rags or just let it drip down through the frame mounting holes and catch it with a pan under the car and wipe up the mess on the frame when you're done.

Once you have the filled the oil reinstall the bushing, spring, shims, and bolt down the cover. I used a thin film of oil resistant RTV silicone to ensure a good seal, but you'll want to be sure all the mating surfaces are wiped down and free of oil beforehand.

All this is easier to do on the bench, but if you just think you need to top up the oil level it will probably be quicker to do it in the car. I rebuilt my rack with new bushings so I pulled the whole thing out.

A few pics below that may help...
    Thank you so much for your detailed reply!
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Steering Rack Oil

Do our boots then retain rack oil? Are they more than just dust boots?

My rack felt stiff so I figure id investigate. It looked bone dry so I added oil, which proceeded to make it clear I had an otherwise hidden tear in the drivers side boot.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast