FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Auto transmission

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Yes, the fluid is a lot of compromises. Some of the additives that make it work can attack the brass and bronze parts too. MT-90 seems to work and we have a lot of history on it so it doesn't seem to be attacking the metals, the syncros work, and longevity doesn't seem to be an issue. Some complain about shifting when cold but unless you are driving in Alaska in the winter it doesn't seem to be a big problem. Getting back to the main point, the automatic is near it's limits with the stock motor and there is not a lot you can do to improve it's capacity. The whole thing was very well designed from the standpoint that there is no weak link, the whole box was designed to handle a certain amount of power and that is it. The 5-speed can handle more but with a lot of caveats. Both have their problems but there are ways to fix them. The 5-speed is less expensive to repair and you get better gas mileage. The auto is more convenient to drive especially on hills and in traffic. BTW, you can only tell if the Quaiffe is any better is at the limits of handling like at a track. It will make no difference for street driving or to 99% of drivers. About all the Quaiffe is good for is bragging rights and the only way you can tell it is in there is if you take the final drive apart.
    Last edited by David T; 09-18-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    First 700

Is there a page in the workshop manual that shows what the "main hub" is? Would making the hub out of a stronger alloy fix the issue?
    For the #1 clutch, could there be new plates made to take more power? I think TCI and Hughes (Alto) still do one-off custom stuff like that, not that it would be cheap.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    Is there a page in the workshop manual that shows what the "main hub" is? Would making the hub out of a stronger alloy fix the issue?
    For the #1 clutch, could there be new plates made to take more power? I think TCI and Hughes (Alto) still do one-off custom stuff like that, not that it would be cheap.
    Remember "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link"? Well the whole automatic transmission is engineered so all of the parts are the "weakest link". The drum of the C-1 clutch pack is made out of stamped steel and spot welded to the base. The spot welds tear out. You could drill holes and plug weld it. The hub is made out of aluminum. I suppose you could make one out of steel but very quickly you will find the next weak link and the next, and the next. IMHO you will be building a whole transmission piece by piece. You're right about the not being cheap part. This is what they do every night at the track. They try to destroy things at night and during the day try to make it stronger. If you keep at it eventually you wind up with something better but at great expense.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Really, Thomas?? You of all people don't have this?? I'm shocked!!

Would you like me to come over and help out ?

j/k

it's 10410

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...DT26T0CD010410
    Well, now that I know the VIN, I looked it up, and I did have it listed. I just couldn't remember, s0 thanks for helping out an old guy with his memory!

Thomas

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5