FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me with speakers to match my recently purchased head unit

Question Help me with speakers to match my recently purchased head unit

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me match up a "basic" sound system.

I recently purchased the below head unit on ebay for $115 because it had the media input features I wanted:

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=209&page=2

I do not know what ohm speakers it requires and I have attempted to search on here including the big thread about speakers. However, it was confusing because people were recommending speakers that other people said will not fit...

-I have the DMCH reproduction dash. What front speakers would match best with this head unit, sound great, and fit without modifying the dash?
    -Still JBL GTO328s?
    -For the rear speakers, same question. What speakers would match best to this head unit, sound great, and fit without modifying the rear panel?

- I am also considering a 8" sub to go in the door behind the driver seat. What model # do you recommend for that as well?

If it would be a good trade-off to modify the dash or rear bracket/panel because the sound and head match would be better, what speakers would you recommend?

Thanks for all of the help in advance!

Josh Q

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

There is more than you would ever want to know here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?57...light=speakers

In general, I'd suggest getting Infinity Kappa 52.9 for the rears and Infinity 3032CF for the fronts - and power those directly off the head unit - install new #14 speaker wire. At higher volumes though you will probably hear distortion and clipping. A standard head unit doesn't have the power to really drive the low end at higher volumes, but it has more than enough power to drive the mids and highs.

Then add a sub, 8" or 10" powered buy a seperate amp. Once you set the crossover in the stereo to pull the low end out of the main speakers and send it instead to the sub you will hear a world of difference.

That will get you to a sound quality and volume level on par with your newer daily driver - it you want it crazy loud with glass rattling sub you need to keep going with more amps and subs.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    There is more than you would ever want to know here:

In general, I'd suggest getting Infinity Kappa 52.9 for the rears and Infinity 3032CF for the fronts - and power those directly off the head unit - install new #14 speaker wire. At higher volumes though you will probably hear distortion and clipping. A standard head unit doesn't have the power to really drive the low end at higher volumes, but it has more than enough power to drive the mids and highs.

Then add a sub, 8" or 10" powered buy a seperate amp. Once you set the crossover in the stereo to pull the low end out of the main speakers and send it instead to the sub you will hear a world of difference.

That will get you to a sound quality and volume level on par with your newer daily driver - it you want it crazy loud with glass rattling sub you need to keep going with more amps and subs.
    Thanks for the help. The thread you shared is the one I was trying to sort through. I know audio technology changes as quickly as computer technology, just trying to stay current.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

There is a lot there.

Get the Infinity units and you will be happy - if those are too pricey you can start looking at Kicker and others, but the Infinity has been a default for many people the last few years and I have yet to see a complaint about quality or fit.

Tom

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    There is a lot there.

Get the Infinity units and you will be happy - if those are too pricey you can start looking at Kicker and others, but the Infinity has been a default for many people the last few years and I have yet to see a complaint about quality or fit.

Tom
    How about these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SNI68U..._54ogub13M8NPG

Below are the Infinity Kappa 52.9, but do they fit just like the 4x10s?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nR0aAsrO8P8HAQ

I found the Infinity 3032CFs below...
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...RkIaAqSK8P8HAQ

I appreciate the help Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    Below are the Infinity Kappa 52.9, but do they fit just like the 4x10s?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nR0aAsrO8P8HAQ
    Not just like the 4x 10, but they fit fine. Run new #14 wire. Once you remove the trim panel the speaker is held to the underbody with a mounting frame that has three phillips screws, remove them and unhook the factory speaker wires. Now the old speaker is held to that mounting frame with a hose clamp, loosen that and remove the old speaker. It's possible you may need to tweak the tabs on the mounting frame just a hair with a pair of needle nose, but I don't think so if I recall correctly. If you do its a mater of bending two of the tabs that the hose clamp go around straight, and then put in a new bend for the slightly larger size.

Position the new speaker in the frame with the crossover dongle hanging down(ish), reinstall the hose clamp, position the speaker and install the three phillips screws. One will be a bit harder to put in now due to clearances - but its not crazy.

Hook up the new #14 speaker wire (you may choose to crimp/solder on forked spade connector), point the aimable tweeter toward the front of the car a bit - and test them out. Play with the button on the middle of the tweeter to change crossover frequencies to your liking (there is no wrong answer). Reinstall the trim panels and the rears are done.

Read my recent post in the other speaker thread about installing the front speakers.

Tom

I found and ordered one pair each Infinity Kappa 32.9cf (105Watt) and 52.9i (165watt) (i hope the suffixes don't matter) from www.onlinecarstereo.com.
    I'll let you know how it goes. My head unit will show up early next week.

Now, what brand/model you recommend for an 8" sub to fit in the cubby hole?

Thanks for all the help!

I found and ordered one pair each Infinity Kappa 32.9cf (105Watt) and 52.9i (165watt) (i hope the suffixes don't matter) from www.onlinecarstereo.com.
    I'll let you know how it goes. My head unit will show up early next week.

Now, what brand/model you recommend for an 8" sub to fit in the cubby hole?

Thanks for all the help!
    I'm curious to see if you actually get the 32.9, or if it just stays backordered. I tried to buy some from a couple sources and could never actually get any, Jeephut for sure but I think maybe those guys too - I know I have ordered from them before.

EDIT: Yeah - I tried to order from them and I even offered to come down to the waehouse if they could find some as they are semi- local - but they never found any. They said they were waiting for the new model, the 32.11 to come out any day, but that was 6 months ago and I've never had any luck googling the 32.11 - so I think that part is made up. If they got some back in stock spread the word as they are great speakers and won't last long. EDIT

For the sub, for my purposes I was less picky. I got one from Circuit city back in the day when they were going out of business and it sat in my garage for years till I put it in.

I will occasionally crank the volume up until the mids and tweeters are running pretty hard, but even at that point I have my sub balanced pretty low and smooth, and I don't push it very hard. I'm not into feeling the groove and vibrating my glass - so in my mind it was less critical what sub I put in (or sub amp for that matter). Long way of saying I don't even remember. When I get the car back from Danny (DMCCA) I can take a look but not sure when that will be.

Certainly you will do better buying something from a reputable company, but I don't find subs to be as critical. Maybe somebody else has a firm suggestion in the meantime?

T
    Last edited by TTait; 09-18-2014 at 12:27 PM.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Did you get the fronts, or just the rears?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast