FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone planning to manufacture stiffer replacement fascias?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Renee, thanks for the pic. I wonder if "polyurethane" is different from "urethane," which is what I am told our fascias are made of. A snapshot of the front, from headlight-level, would be most helpful; I can gauge how far out of shape mine is.

Edit: Forgot to mention -- Justin, my plan is to make the headlight buckets attach to the fiberglass fascia... or it would be my plan, if someone else weren't already working on this.

Farrar
    Last edited by Farrar; 08-05-2011 at 01:25 AM.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    05141

I build radio controlled model boats. They are usually over 2 meters long, and the hulls are made from fibre glass. I make the molds myself, in far more detail than a facia would be.
    I've been toying with the idea of makeing a mold of the facia's. That should not be so hard to do. But I let go of the idea becasue I fear troubles with DMC. I do not have the time avablable to give it the necessary attention this year anyway.
    But you can use a mold and install right then enforcements directly over the headlights.

John
    DSCN1440.jpg

My VIN:    VIN 5120

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    I build radio controlled model boats. They are usually over 2 meters long, and the hulls are made from fibre glass. I make the molds myself, in far more detail than a facia would be.
    I've been toying with the idea of makeing a mold of the facia's. That should not be so hard to do. But I let go of the idea becasue I fear troubles with DMC. I do not have the time avablable to give it the necessary attention this year anyway.
    But you can use a mold and install right then enforcements directly over the headlights.

John
    DSCN1440.jpg
    Wow! That boat is awesome!! Good job John. I definitely think you could handle a project like the facia's, no problem.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Excellent work, John. Looks beautiful. I agree -- a fascia looks easy compared to that!

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Banned

I fear troubles with DMC.
    I believe Houston only gets proprietary about the logo.

At some point contours themselves must become public domain. I am sure all the Countach replica manufacturers are not paying royalties to Lambourghini.

Bill Robertson

Not in charge....luckily for you Renee_1632's Avatar

My VIN:    01632

Here's the best pic I have from the front. I'll try and take another when I get her back. The front fascia also feels a bit thicker above the headlights.
    Attached Images
    Renee

VIN 1632

You know you're a DeLorean owner when "Run DMC" is not an 80's band, but a daily prayer.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

But I let go of the idea becasue I fear troubles with DMC. DSCN1440.jpg
    I can't speak for Houston, but I'd be willing to bet that if you came up with a quality replacement fascia for a reasonable amount of money, in useful quanties and delivery times, inventing/ investing on your own, they'd be knocking your door down to buy them.

Lotta caveats there.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Florida Owners in/around Jacksonville, FL:

I have been talking to a fellow that is interested in making a mold for producing fiberglass facias. I think it would be instructive for him to see a Delorean and look at the facias in person.

I've told him that a major part of the benefit of an improved part would be if it was easier to mount/remove. I also told him that this was really a niche part, and he is still interested.

I own no part of this and this project would be his and his alone. I have no interest in it... except for being able to a buy a fascia from him if they go into production.

Is there an owner in that area who would be willing to show off their car for him?

PM me.

By the way, if any vendor/DMCH/private owner wants to collaborate, I'll gladly send along his info.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Just curious on the fiberglass fascia. I have removed mine and there is quite a bit of flexing and movement needed to install them. If you had a fiberglass fascia ready to mount....would you be able to do so without breaking it?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Just curious on the fiberglass fascia. I have removed mine and there is quite a bit of flexing and movement needed to install them. If you had a fiberglass fascia ready to mount....would you be able to do so without breaking it?
    Twisting/bending Fiberglass certainly doesn't work at all. Since you have have experience taking them on and off (I don't,) do you think it is possible to design a fascia that mounts differently and "slides" into place?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast