FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Angle Drive Gear Reduction Ratio?

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    150,000 miles on original angle drive.......
    That is pretty amazing. Did you happen to lub them with kryptonite?
    Rob Grady

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Ok, interesting.I'm not 100% sure what made them change bracket designs honestly. The one with the extended coat hanger looking arm on it might have been harder or more expensive to make maybe? Or they snapped off?
    Mine snapped off while I was changing springs recently. Planning to weld a new coat hanger on later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    How about your trip meter? Does it work? Reset shaft been snapped and replaced before?
    Don't know if there's any relation there, but mine hasn't worked since I got the car 2 years ago, and the trip meter reset was snapped off when I got it. Have the replacement parts, just haven't bother to install them yet. Doesn't seem worth it considering there is nothing to reset at this point.
    Last edited by LordFly; 12-03-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    Don't know if there's any relation there, but mine hasn't worked since I got the car 2 years ago, and the trip meter reset was snapped off when I got it. Have the replacement parts, just haven't bother to install them yet. Doesn't seem worth it considering there is nothing to reset at this point.
    Agreed on not knowing if there's any relation there. I mention it only because there might be.

Not directly of course, not like a broken trip reset shaft in and of itself will jam your angle drive, but I heard of people having tiny bits of the plastic that broke off getting jammed in the speedo or odo and causing problems.

Personally, my trip reset shaft was broken since the day I got the car (or before that technically). I bought the replacement parts years ago and like you, never got to installing them, partly because of not having anything to reset like you said, but also having never been into the binnacle and dreading it being difficult. After getting in there for some light bulbs, I realized it was not hard and put the shaft back together with some good DMCH instructions.

It might still be a luck of the draw with all of this or some completely untrackable consistency that will forever hide itself. Interesting though if some theme emerges form any of this.

Ironically, I got fumbling around in my boxes of old parts in the garage taking inventory of what the crap was and what could be reused or sold. I stumble upon a used lower speedo cable as well as an angle drive that hadn't been butchered trying to get the nut off, and when I connected the two, they seemed to spin ok. I put these two in the footwell and connected to the lower side of the lambda counter and I'll be damned if it didn't appear to be working!

I'll give credit to that exploda image someone posted of the two gear pieces inside the angle drive as it gave me a better visual for when I was playing with my own. It seems mine is very sensitive to the lower cable protruding too far WITHIN the cable sheath. If I assemble it without it working itself too far in the direction of the lambda counter, it seems to rotate ok. We'll see when I get it all installed and tightened actually in the front wheel. That's waiting until the Spring though so I can do a test drive on dry ground after putting the hub nuts back on.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

150,000 angle drive

My car had 29,000 on it when i Bought it. It's possible first owner replaced it.
    Broke trip odometer cleaning dash. I keep the broken stub on the dash to reset
    odometer every time I gas up.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6