FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Not the Sunday drive I was expecting...

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Not the Sunday drive I was expecting...

Went for a nice Sunday drive everything was running fine then all of a sudden I felt the shifting was very loose. Loose going in and out of gears then couldn't go into any gear, then it was stuck on neutral. Couldn't move into any gear or even wiggle it in neutral. Removed the leather boot and all the linkages looked fine. Couldn't get underneath to check the pivot bolt but the rod going from the stick to the bolt was connected and I could slightly move it by hand. Now $40 AAA tow to my shop later and I'm back home watching football hoping someone can shed some light on this problem?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Attached Images

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    Went for a nice Sunday drive everything was running fine then all of a sudden I felt the shifting was very loose. Loose going in and out of gears then couldn't go into any gear, then it was stuck on neutral. Couldn't move into any gear or even wiggle it in neutral. Removed the leather boot and all the linkages looked fine. Couldn't get underneath to check the pivot bolt but the rod going from the stick to the bolt was connected and I could slightly move it by hand. Now $40 AAA tow to my shop later and I'm back home watching football hoping someone can shed some light on this problem?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Get under it and check that pivot bolt. Once you can get under the car the problem should be obvious.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I agree; no telling what it could be until you get under and look. Should be pretty obvious since everything is pretty exposed underneath.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Here is a general walk through of bushing upgrade, that may shed some light as to where to look.
    ...might be a good time for a bushing upgrade, anyway.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."