FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone installed the Power Pump fuel pump?

My VIN:    1499

Has anyone installed the Power Pump fuel pump?

I am in the process of replacing the fuel pump and I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to whether I should stay with the DMC fuel pump kit
    (K111085A) does the SpecialTauto fuel pump Kit (K111085AST) with the "Fuel Pump Tank Pick Up Baffle Kit" (110085PK) make a good replacement.
    Any help or information on this would be appreciated.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Both are good.

There is nothing wrong with a properly functioning stock DMC set up.

John's (Special T) tuna can baffle works by eliminating the OEM style pick up hose, which has been rumoured to kink/collapse with age.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    1499

fuel pump, power pump

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Both are good.

There is nothing wrong with a properly functioning stock DMC set up.

John's (Special T) tuna can baffle works by eliminating the OEM style pick up hose, which has been rumoured to kink/collapse with age.
    Do you have any thoughts on the Power Pump offered by SpecialTauto?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Back2thefuture View Post
    Do you have any thoughts on the Power Pump offered by SpecialTauto?
    I've never used it. Perhaps someone else can chime in? You can also check in at DMCToday, where John has a few more supporters.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

It works fine, but I modified mine before installing it.

The pump is a commercially available unit, and is (apparently) available for less elsewhere if you know what to buy. As such John wanted to protect his research, so he took some sort of grinder to the body to remove the part number. He ground deeper than I might have preferred. On top of that it ground through the factory finish on the pump exposing untreated metal below. Now that coating was applied for a reason - and I was not happy. I chose to take it to a local radiator shop that also refurbishes fuel tanks, and had them apply several coats of a special paint used to line fuel tanks after they have been stripped. Dont know if that was needed or not, but I did it. It has worked for at least 4 years now.

Also, his revised baffle works fine too - but when fuel gets very low it can starve briefly if you take a sharp fast turn or accelerate hard - I actually like that - one last warning you are about to go dry.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    It works fine, but I modified mine before installing it.

The pump is a commercially available unit, and is (apparently) available for less elsewhere if you know what to buy. As such John wanted to protect his research, so he took some sort of grinder to the body to remove the part number. He ground deeper than I might have preferred. On top of that it ground through the factory finish on the pump exposing untreated metal below. Now that coating was applied for a reason - and I was not happy. I chose to take it to a local radiator shop that also refurbishes fuel tanks, and had them apply several coats of a special paint used to line fuel tanks after they have been stripped. Dont know if that was needed or not, but I did it. It has worked for at least 4 years now.

Also, his revised baffle works fine too - but when fuel gets very low it can starve briefly if you take a sharp fast turn or accelerate hard - I actually like that - one last warning you are about to go dry.
    is it possible to connect the "power pump" to the stock pick up hose? or is it longer than the stock pump?
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    is it possible to connect the "power pump" to the stock pick up hose? or is it longer than the stock pump?
    I'm guessing it will work, but did not try. The problem you will have is if you can get the rubber(?) cover that goes over the top of the pump to seat/seal properly.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    That is what I did. I machined an elbow pipe fitting and used my stock pickup. But what happened was the power pump is small and held in the mount with foam to take up the space. It then rotated after using it a few years and tore the pickup hose.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That is what I did. I machined an elbow pipe fitting and used my stock pickup. But what happened was the power pump is small and held in the mount with foam to take up the space. It then rotated after using it a few years and tore the pickup hose.
    maybe a silicone hose joiner on the pump body would be better than the foam..

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast