FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone installed the Power Pump fuel pump?

My VIN:    16409

Does anybody have anything to say about Hervey's new DMCH-esque fuel pump. He sells it for $129 by itsef. Sounds like a good deal. I like the fact that it has stainless fittings on top instead of plastic.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    16409

Nobody's used this yet?

image.jpg
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Nobody's used this yet?

image.jpg
    I saw it this weekend in a car that he is working on for a friend of mine who is planning on driving it from Dallas to NY, not sure how it works yet, but once the car is done I'm sure I can find out.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

It's exactly the same but this one doesn't have the electronic box included for the fuel sensor?
    I'll be curious to see some review on this one, pretty cool it has stainless steel pipes.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    It's exactly the same....
    It's a long way from "exactly".
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    It's a long way from "exactly".
    What Dave said. Aside from other differences, I don't think the fuel sender even illuminates the low fuel light when you are nearing empty.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Dave, do you know the main difference between the two models please?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    Dave, do you know the main difference between the two models please?
    I've not see brand X in person (If you want to buy one and send it to me I'd be glad to provide more info), but here's what I can see from photos:

Brand X - The top is not stainless, rather claimed to be "rust resistant". Assume plated steel. The fuel lines are clamped directly to the (stainless?) steel lines rather than using the quick-connect barb fittings that the lines are designed to utilize. The inlet filter is outside the baffle rather than inside the baffle. Not sure which is better, but based on experience if you ever have a dirt problem it's easier to clean the filter and baffle than the whole bottom of the tank, which is where the dirt ends up. The sender is still a separate part with no outer tube. The sender float is undamped so the gauge will probably wander around rather dramatically. That style sender should have a tube around the float. There is no low fuel light switch. There is likely to be a clearance problem at the fiberglass tank access panel as the Emission/Evap sensor appears to remain in place on top of the unit (could have been changed but that's what I see). I know the DMCH unit is tight there and it does not have the sensor. Not sure without trying it.

DMCH - Plastic is certainly rustproof and is what is used in all modern fuel systems. I've pulled enough rusty fuel pump modules from non-DMC GM cars to consider the plastic unit to be a benefit. As we know that part of the pump is directly hit with water every time it rains or you wash the car. The sender is part of the pump assembly, and the external electronics box damps the sender motion and "creates" the low fuel light signal. The gauge will not show tank slosh due to the damping.

I can't compare the actual pump motor because I can't see it. I can't compare the baffle check valve. The clamping mechanism certainly appears to be a knock-off of the same design as DMCH.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10722

I use to be a HUGE Hervey fan, but after purchasing his fuel sender unit, I finally saw the light. It is total crap! The cork gasket material leaked, there is no low fuel sender to operate the light in the instrument cluster, and the needle wobbles like crazy since there is no tube surrounding the float. I never really knew how much gas I had. BUYER BEWARE!

I purchased the DMC fuel sender unit and it is absolutely perfect. You get what you pay for.

Andy

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Another Hervey Hack-Job knock-off.

Get the pump from DMCH.
    - Chris

what

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast