FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Condensation

Club(s):   (DMA)

Condensation

This may have been addressed on here, but I can not find it. I just cleaned out my plenum drain and did the coil boot fix for the inside drain. That seemed to fix the water from leaking into the car. But I just drove the car with the A/C on for about 45 min last night. When I got home, I noticed water on the carpet. When I looked, I found condensation dripping from the outside of the evaporator/blower casing. Any idea's on how to keep this from happening?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

You have either of two things going on:

1. External condensation on the evap housing, which is kind of normal if it's humid and you are running good, cold A/C.
    2. A clogged evap drain/hose.

From your problem description you might be dealing with the former. The outside of the evap box is so cold it's below the dewpoint of the air in the passenger compartment which will cause condensation. Enough condensation and you can get water dripping off, like on the outside of a glass of ice water on a humid day. On very humid days try running in MAX A/C mode which will keeps the interior humidity lower (less outside air in the passenger compartment).

You can test your hose and drain by pulling the hose off again and making sure it drains (pour a little water in, look for it to show up on the ground) and also make sure the evap housing drain isn't clogged - again. If you know that it's clear from the evap box to the ground then you are only dealing with #1.
    Last edited by Rich; 09-28-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03572

There should be some foam glued to the outside of the evaporator box to reduce that problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thanks Rich and Dave. I checked the drain lines again, and there are clear and working properly. I did notice that I don't have any foam on the outside of the case. What type of foam do you suggest I use.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Thanks Rich and Dave. I checked the drain lines again, and there are clear and working properly. I did notice that I don't have any foam on the outside of the case. What type of foam do you suggest I use.
    I think the original foam is a closed cell black foam about an 1/8 inch thick. But most any insulator would work.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thank you. I will get some this week. You guys have been extremely helpful in get my ride where it needs to be.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

+1 on Dave's suggestion. John at DMCNW suggested the same to me when I was having issues. Mine was already foamed so it looks like I'm going to be after the drain line.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

You'd be surprised how much water condenses. I had an issue once and temporarily routed the drain hose to a bottle inside the car. I could fill a 20oz bottle in a 30 minute drive easily in the afternoon.