FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Kinks in new fuel accumulator hoses

My VIN:    04955

Club(s):   (RMDG)

Kinks in new fuel accumulator hoses

I stepped out of the DeLorean online communities for a number of years after kids came along, but I'm just finally getting my car back in shape after a long time in storage. One of the first things on my to-do list was to clean/rebuild/replace various components of the fuel system. Yesterday I spent a very frustrating 2-3 hours trying to install the new fuel accumulator and hose set that I got from John Hervey. I've got the accumulator in the car now, but I am not satisfied that it is the best it can be right now. Perhaps someone on this forum can offer some advice...

I've got two primary issues or concerns:

(1) This accumulator unit is smaller than the original... I've since found other thread that have reported that a couple vendors are going with this alternate unit. I don't have a huge issue with this as long as it still works. (Yes, I'm using a radiator hose as a sleeve for mounting.) I've observed, however, that the connection for the right angle fitting to the solid metal fuel line is not in the center of the unit like it is for the original larger accumulator. This makes it more difficult to align the right angle fitting to properly attach to the metal fuel line. I had to rotate the unit to offset the connector... I can hook up the metal fuel line now, but it is certainly not a perfect fit...

(2) I am having the worst time trying to get the flexible fuel lines to route around the fuel accumulator without kinking. I've make multiple attempts to pre-twist the flexible fuel hose coming from the pump so that it sets correctly once the unit is mounted in place. It is "okay" right now, but there is still some twisting on the hose which appears to put unwanted stress on the hose. I'm worried about early failure on this line. I've just about given up on the lower pressure fuel hose which connects to end. I can't find any angle or position which avoids a kink on this one.

So... What should I try next? Perhaps it is time to give up on this smaller unit and track down a replacement accumulator of the original larger size. Or, perhaps my problem is really the fuel hoses alone... Has any one else successfully installed these hoses from Hervey? Perhaps I need to go down to the local auto parts store and track down an alternative fuel hose of the correct size and length which is less likely to kink? Any guidelines about what kind of hose to get?

Thanks!
    Luke

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

hinky kinky

Has anyone ever slipped a tight fitting spring over the hose to prevent kinking? Seems like it could work......

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Has anyone ever slipped a tight fitting spring over the hose to prevent kinking? Seems like it could work......
    Interesting idea. I'm certainly willing to try that if a spring of the proper diameter and strength could be located. Perhaps I'll visit the local hardware store with hose in hand.

Any other suggestions out there?

-L

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Kinks in new fuel accumulator hose

We only carry the original size Bosch accumulator as the smaller unit is designed for a 4 cylinder application and may not hold the required pressure under all conditions. Although the full size unit is more expensive and harder to find we'll carry it until it is cancelled by Bosch which may happen in the near future. We have a good supply for now.
    As for the kinked hose that definitely should not be happening and indicates a damaged or poor quality material. we carry Aeroquip hoses for that application and that never happens with them.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    We only carry the original size Bosch accumulator as the smaller unit is designed for a 4 cylinder application and may not hold the required pressure under all conditions. Although the full size unit is more expensive and harder to find we'll carry it until it is cancelled by Bosch which may happen in the near future. We have a good supply for now.
    As for the kinked hose that definitely should not be happening and indicates a damaged or poor quality material. we carry Aeroquip hoses for that application and that never happens with them.
    Thanks for the info... I wasn't sure if the original size accumulator was still available. I'm getting frustrated enough with this smaller unit and the hose issues that I might be making a phone call your way to place an order sometime soon. How are the Aeroquip hoses which you provide setup for this application? Are new fittings already attached, or do we just clamp open hose ends to the original fittings?

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lsoasey View Post
    Thanks for the info... I wasn't sure if the original size accumulator was still available. I'm getting frustrated enough with this smaller unit and the hose issues that I might be making a phone call your way to place an order sometime soon. How are the Aeroquip hoses which you provide setup for this application? Are new fittings already attached, or do we just clamp open hose ends to the original fittings?
    The short answer is both! We have two "flavors" for the forward hose. An original style Teflon hose w/fittings attached (core charge on the fittings applied if not returned in 30 days) This design is impervious to the alcohol in many areas winter gas formulations. The other style is a more conventional reinforced rubber hose with stainless clamps which some people find easier to install. The rear hose we offer is the rubber with clamps style in all cases. If you decide to order something call (800)350-7429 as our website is getting a makeover and the shopping cart is limited to paypal at the moment. We are just starting to show individual parts on it and it's going to take some time to get it up to speed.