FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Defroster light came on after headliner install

My VIN:    4608- sold 4885- current

Defroster light came on after headliner install

I just picked up my car after getting the headlines redone and the rear defroster light is on. I am not excited about tearing out the headliners, so what could have caused this? I guess my fear is that they screwed through the wires.

My VIN:    03572

The light wiring just goes to the switch and light via the center console wires. My guess is your defrost switch got bumpped and probably failed. It is turned off?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The light wiring just goes to the switch and light via the center console wires. My guess is your defrost switch got bumpped and probably failed. It is turned off?
    Agree. First thing is just remove the switch and see if the light goes off
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Will the back window feel hot if it's on?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by alexwolf1216 View Post
    Will the back window feel hot if it's on?
    It might feel warm but the glass may make it hard to tell.

Easy way to determine whether this is power going to the rear defogger grid is to probe across the grid - check the left side and right side defogger grid terminals on the inside of the rear glass with a voltmeter or a 12V test light probe. One probe lead on each terminal. With ignition ON. If the test lamp is on or you see ~12V then the grid is getting power.
    Last edited by Rich; 10-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Switch died. Replaced it and it's all good

My VIN:    3937

I saw something like this happen on my car, Alex. The rear defrost got stuck on because the switch got physically stuck in place while on.

The centre console where the five holes are for the window, dummy and defrost switches can get bent out of shape a little bit over time. My defrost switch got pushed down too far and then when you pushed it with your finger (or elbow by accident) the plastic edge of the switch itself would rub on the vinyl edge of the console/armrest area and not let it release back to the off position.

It doesn't need to move by much to see this happen. That space is pretty small and the switch being just a little out of place is enough to get one or more sides of it to rub against something. Keep that in mind the next time you see the defrost light stay on as it could be another possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I saw something like this happen on my car, Alex. The rear defrost got stuck on because the switch got physically stuck in place while on.

The centre console where the five holes are for the window, dummy and defrost switches can get bent out of shape a little bit over time. My defrost switch got pushed down too far and then when you pushed it with your finger (or elbow by accident) the plastic edge of the switch itself would rub on the vinyl edge of the console/armrest area and not let it release back to the off position.

It doesn't need to move by much to see this happen. That space is pretty small and the switch being just a little out of place is enough to get one or more sides of it to rub against something. Keep that in mind the next time you see the defrost light stay on as it could be another possibility.
    This. My window switches have been getting stuck too. I took apart the console to try and better organize, but it didnt work. The switches seem to be a touch too long to fir properly.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by alexwolf1216 View Post
    This. My window switches have been getting stuck too. I took apart the console to try and better organize, but it didnt work. The switches seem to be a touch too long to fir properly.
    The switches have a bump on the side that fits into a groove cut into the console. If you try to install the switches upside down they will not go all the way in.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Grind or file off the bottom edges of the switches slightly. This isn't a universal problem with the switches, but some consoles are more deformed than others.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC