FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Idler pulley bearing replacement

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Refer to the Parts Manual 7-2-1. It is an accurate representation of the parts. The problem with it is that it does not give the sizes of the spacers so you could mix them up. Looking thorough my notes I can't find where I recorded the sizes of the spacers. When you take it apart each spacer should be measured so you can identify them and put them back in the proper locations. Even with pictures and measuring, once you get it back together, step back and look at it to make sure everything lines up.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Refer to the Parts Manual 7-2-1. It is an accurate representation of the parts. The problem with it is that it does not give the sizes of the spacers so you could mix them up. Looking thorough my notes I can't find where I recorded the sizes of the spacers. When you take it apart each spacer should be measured so you can identify them and put them back in the proper locations. Even with pictures and measuring, once you get it back together, step back and look at it to make sure everything lines up.
    I am not disputing the accuracy of the parts, I am questioning the assembly order which I have used both the parts manual and the tech manual to show. Spacer #15 (again NOT the 2 differently sized cam plate spacers) is clearly shown (because I circled it in red) going in front of the pulley mounting plate. This is wrong among many other things but I caught those.

Here is the tech manual showing the same mistake(s)

Last edited by Michael; 12-27-2019 at 01:40 PM.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I am not disputing the accuracy of the parts, I am questioning the assembly order which I have used both the parts manual and the tech manual to show. Spacer #15 (again NOT the 2 differently sized cam plate spacers) is clearly shown (because I circled it in red) going in front of the pulley mounting plate. This is wrong among many other things but I caught those.

Here is the tech manual showing the same mistake(s)

~Snip~

Agreed. To help future readers, here are pictures of the 2 bracket bolt spacers:

Upper idler pulley bracket bolt with thin spacer (#10) arrangement:

Upper idler pulley bracket bolt with outside washer arrangement (lower bolt is the same):

Lower idler pulley bracket bolt with thick spacer (#14) arrangement (apologies for pic orientation...rotate to the left):

Here are pictures of the pulley stud spacers:

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6472

Some more reference pics here from when I replaced my bearings a couple years ago:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?24...l=1#post218157

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have scanned and redrawn the tech manual to what I believe is correct. I rescaled the spacers #15, reoriented the cam plate so the proper screws line up to it, repositioned the pulley bolts so they are not out of order, and a few other minor details to make certain parts appear closer to their actual appearance. It's still a tad confusing but in order to draw it correctly I would have to start all over showing the large adjustment bracket in a slightly different perspective. Even with the slight confusion the assembly order is correct (as I remember it) but please if you see something wrong let me know and once completed maybe we can put the revised drawing in the resources section for future owners like me that didn't take pics because they put too much faith in the manual. If everything is correct I will finalize it, draw the center lines correctly and send it to a mod/admin to put it where is needs to be.

Pulleyassm.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 12-28-2019 at 04:07 PM.

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

Red face

This is brilliant guys, great explanations
    And tips.. Will be definitely needing to this once my engine gets nearer completion

Cheers
    Shane
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3