FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ...so im thinking about selling my car

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

...so im thinking about selling my car

Every once in a while, everyone gets the idea to sell your car. Lately, it's been my idea too. Everyone says that you should store a car for a bit, or not drive it, walk away, and enjoy it again later.

I only drive my car about 5 months out of the year, and have no problems with it. I haven't touched it in a while, took it out last week, and just seem to be bored with it.

I covered it back up, and started thinking, "do i REALLY enjoy the car? Am I having fun with this car?" Maybe because its so bloody hot out, but even in the evenings I used to jump in the car and take it for a quick spin around town, just to keep the juices flowing. Lately all i do is start it up every week and let it run so the gas doesn't get stale and the fluids can move.

Lately, I really miss going fast. I know some people give lectures about how speed is relative, speeding is bad, blah blah blah, but that's how i grew up. I've never owned cars this slow until the last 10 years, and I can say im not enjoying the driving experience like I used to. I used to love going to an empty stretch of road and just nailing 120, and just letting the car slowly idle back down to highway speeds. I guess you can say i miss the rush.

I've seen a couple of cars that i have been interested in, are easily moddable, and will shred tires like a fun car should.

Yes, there is fun in DeLorean ownership, but along the line, tastes change. Adventure is always a good thing, and so should driving. Forget all about car clubs, hangouts, etc... Im at the point where I am still trying to find the motivation to just keep the car. Yes, there's always the fear of regretting the sale, but you can't live life worrying about the could've, would've, should've.

I dunno... just something that's been on my mind for a while.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

DeLorean Owner, Missouri jmrydholm's Avatar

My VIN:    10715

I thought about selling mine for a while as well. I've put a ton into repairing it, and it's still a long way from decent-looking or running perfectly. But I talked with my fiancee about it (as I was more than willing to trade it in for a down payment on a house for her) and she didn't want me to part with it. The more I realize how much I've been shelling into 10715, the more I love the old girl. She's been a pain in my backside for 7 years now, but totally worth it. I probably would make more keeping the car and eventually fixing it and selling it, or giving it to my kids in the future. I look at my dad when he got a 220D Mercedes back in the early, early 70's and he had that car until about 2000. He liked that car a lot and tried his best to take care of it. Unfortunately the Mercedes ended up rusting through the frame and I could see the driveway back then! But yeah, I'm gonna live the dream as long as possible, it's a lot of fun. And I do appreciate that darn, old, fragile, constantly-breaking, steel lemon.

-John
    Missouri

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Mine is always for sale...at the right price.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

I burned my speed fix years ago, I like the D for what it is, a cruiser and I really like how mine is currently configured and used, so it still works for me.

....so thinking through your post above, I am surprised at this response that I am about to give you, which is:

Sell it.

As I have come to know you, it really makes the most sense for you. If you crave handling and HP, ain't no feasible upgrade path available to a D, that'll get you the even the stock performance (and safety) of a more modern car.

Use the proceeds of the sale to get into a SupraMk4, Ellise, etc. That's been an itch that you've had a for a while, and you'll get much more use, and more versatility of use, out of those cars than you do out of your D.

Life's short, bud; as long as as its feasible to do, keep reaching for your dreams.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    I burned my speed fix years ago, I like the D for what it is, a cruiser and I really like how mine is currently configured and used, so it still works for me.

....so thinking through your post above, I am surprised at this response that I am about to give you, which is:

Sell it.

As I have come to know you, it really makes the most sense for you. If you crave handling and HP, ain't no feasible upgrade path available to a D, that'll get you the even the stock performance (and safety) of a more modern car.

Use the proceeds of the sale to get into a SupraMk4, Ellise, etc. That's been an itch that you've had a for a while, and you'll get much more use, and more versatility of use, out of those cars than you do out of your D.

Life's short, bud; as long as as its feasible to do, keep reaching for your dreams.
    That's why Ozzie's my friend... he knows me oh too well... LOL!

In a perfect world, i'd love to just shove the car into a warehouse and dig it back out every now and then... but sometimes it's nice to just have the funds for something else, like a house, or to head to europe for a spell, or get another stupidly fast car.

But, I also think about all the work i've done to it, and ditching it would be a shame to an extent.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Mine is always for sale...at the right price.
    And my right price is the car's indicated mileage. Should be worth over $120,000 by now, but due to multiple speedometer issues over several different years its currently stuck at about $107,500. Thats a hell of a deal! Someone should buy my car quick before I get it fixed!
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    But, I also think about all the work i've done to it, and ditching it would be a shame to an extent.

List it for your ideal price and wait it out. As long as you're not in a crunch for cash (and it doesnt sound like you are) you'll feel good just knowing you've made up your mind and are moving forward. At some point, someone will probably pay what you want for it.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

For what its worth I've owned a lot of different cars. Old musclecars, (65 gto, 77 trans am)and newer ones, (mustang cobra, z28 camaro, 04 gto, Lexus is) of all the cars I ever had NONE were as special as the DeLorean. I know because I sold it once before. After that I spent years looking for it. In the end luckily it found me and I've never been happier being in this car.

I'd walk away for a bit and think about it. You may not find a nice one again.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

If you do sell, seriously consider Ozzie's suggestion of a Lotus Elise. I've driven one a few times, and they really absolutely incredible cars to drive.

There's a company in the UK that removes your eng. puts in another PRV with a turbo and they claim the car will do 0-60 in 6 sec. Not fast like present day Mustang, Camaro or Vette fast but fast as hell for a "D". I can find the link if you want it.

If you wait a couple of years I'll have the cash to buy yours.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast