FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ...so im thinking about selling my car

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Of course I was expecting to get some of the "hold onto it for ever and ever" replies, but the reason i posted the thread was for reasons just like what Ozzie and Louie gave, trying to keep things in perspective.
    Louie has been in my shoes before when it comes to what im thinking, so it makes a lot of sense. Im not saying im done with the D community, as i was on this board YEARS before I ever had a car.... it has to do with the material car itself, whether or not I want to keep it or move on, and what are the reasons people have held onto, or are holding onto their cars, and on the same coin the reason for selling the cars.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    1710

The problem with just putting the car aside is eventually you'll feel guilty and go back to it before you're really ready to deal with it's nonsense. I know I tried keeping my DeLorean at my parents house 2.5 hours away when I got burned out. That'd last for a while, then I'd go get it and get sucked back into the madness all over again.

I've said before that I wish I wouldn't have sold mine. But when I really think about it, that's not true at all. Selling the car allowed me to actually live life for a few years. I was finally able to afford to go on vacations, go out to eat nice meals, hang out with friends more, stuff like that. THAT'S where life is. Not constantly nursing a 30 year old car which stays on perma life support.

Again, it's not that I don't ever want a DeLorean again. I very much do. I just know it's not the right time for me to own one at this moment. Sounds like you're in similar shoes.

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I say you just buy another one….

(if you think running one delorean is expensive…..)

It works for me anyway!

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Just my luck. An owner moving to my neck of the woods, and he wants to sell his car. Oh well.

I originally sold #1458 because I realised it was worth a lot more than I'd paid for it and there was another itch I needed to scratch: A Venturi Atlantique 300 - and the "right one" turned up at exactly the right time.

Pity it turned out to be a complete bugger to look after, even if it did go like shit off a shovel. A well sorted DeLorean is so much nicer to drive than most things I've owned. My Alpine A610 was nice to drive but cheaply made and another utter bar-steward to work on.

I can make DeLoreans go much faster within, as I see it, the realms of what's acceptable to the marque - PRV, no permanent mods etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've yet to drive another car that's as exclusive, comfortable, surprising and unique as a DeLorean. It's just a shame they're not fast enough

(ps my conversion is not very expensive... it's very close to the cost of a Stage 2 from Ed in the Netherlands - to you guys having to factor in the shipping costs it gets pricey).
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

I figure I should chime in here as well...

I've known you for quite a few years now, and during that time we have worked on more than a few DeLoreans together. I consider you to be one of my best friends, not just in the D community, but in life as well.

When I sold my first car, I was happy to be rid of the constant drain on my wallet. I would get my D fix from time to time @ tech gatherings and shows, and that satisfied me for a while. Eventually, the urge to dive into another restoration overcame me and I got into another car. I'm certain that I will have moments of sheer frustration that will make me want to sell, just like I'm certain that after a cooling off period I'll be in love again. If anything, my D experience has taught me that these cars are a cyclical kind of love.

Like it or not, you will always be a part of the D community. Whenever you visit Orlando, there will never be a shortage of Ds in line waiting for your expertise. If the car isn't giving you the same joy it once did, then you should consider selling it and putting that money into something that will give you that joy. You said it yourself: it's just a cruiser and you really want to go fast.

You only get one ride on this roller coaster called life, sometimes it's best to change seats during the slow parts every once in a while to amp up the excitement a little.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    3004

Club(s):   (DCF)

It's been a little while so I was wondering what you're feelings are now on selling, Mike.

More SERIOUS about selling at this point. Starting talks with a friend to buy it.

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Not to sound unsympathetic or anything but what are the stats on your car? Realistic selling price consideration?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Sean, you unsympathetic bastard!

1983 5spd Manual, interior converted from gray to black 31,197 miles
    Light gray carpet
    New dash
    New glove box lid
    New Binnacle
    New Steering Wheel
    New black seat covers
    Clarion video display unit
    6" Midrange kick panel speakers
    4" tweets in dash
    6" 3 ways in a custom back board (still have factory board as well)
    FL (barely) legal tint
    SS shifter ball
    New shift boot
    New window switches
    New silicone outer door seals
    New headliners
    New trunk gasket
    new trunk finishing strips
    New fuel pump
    New cooling fans from Toby Peterson
    New Chevy Lumina alternator
    New trunk carpet
    Silverstar low and high beams
    full LED conversion
    New pulleys
    New windshield
    New A-Pillars
    New sidestripe
    New clutch master and slave
    new brake master
    Marty Maier new oil pressure sending unit

Still have: 90% of the new ac system (134a) in my living room (lines and condenser were out of stock), including new 134 compressor

new grounding cables from Hervey yet to be installed

Issues with the car: The AC hasn't been done yet (hence why it's in my living room), and there's a non-creased pressure dent in my drivers door that i've never had pulled out because honestly it's not bad and I just dont have time to do it.

Asked 17,500 firm including all parts for the AC. Drips nothing, leaks nothing. Runs and drives just dandy. Just did an oil change, and that was clean. Planning on cooling system flush shortly.

Damn... after listing all this shit, I may be nuts for selling it...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast