FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New owner intro! I bought VIN#2328 today

My VIN:    2328

New owner intro! I bought VIN#2328 today

Hi everyone! After months of research, including lurking around here, reading the Illustrated Buyer's Guide cover-to-cover, and a couple of test drives, I've purchased VIN# 2328 from DMC-FL! Deal was struck on 8/27 and I took delivery today as all work has been completed. In addition to DMC-FL's regular resto, I chose to add a 140mph speedo, Eibach suspension, Stage I exhaust, and stainless steel bumper insert letters.

When I got to DMC-FL, Tony first brought me into his office as he said he had something for me. Turns out he had the original owner's manual from the vehicle, as well as complete original documented ownership and service history on my car! Everything from the original window sticker and title! Really cool to have the provenance on the vehicle.

We went back to the shop area so I could see the car and give it a once-over. Pretty much everything was fine, except the latch release for the motor cover decided not to cooperate and needed to be adjusted, which was quickly taken care of.

It was pouring so we waited about 15 minutes, then Tony and I got in to take it for a quick spin. I was REALLY nervous. I've paid for the car, and I'm about to take it out for my first drive, in the rain. Until my recent DMC test drives and a couple practice drives in friends' cars, I haven't driven manual transmission in over 10 years, so I had some jitters as I sat behind the wheel.

The first few minutes were tense, but once we got the car out onto the road, I was (relatively) comfortable driving it. I'd be lying if I said the car is a blast to drive... yet. It's nothing like any of the cars I've ever driven, and I'm still getting used to it. The exhaust sounds great, and is quite loud. The inside is a bit noisy on the highway, and the car feels like it's going a lot faster than it actually is (which isn't a bad thing). There are various rattles around the cabin, and certain switches and knobs kind of feel like they could break if you forced them too much, but you all know this already.

It's still sinking in that the car is actually mine, and it will take some time for me to learn to drive it well and to appreciate it for its merits as well as its imperfections. I'm looking forward to it!

Will take and post pics when the weather is better, and will stay in touch around here as things do, invariably, go wrong!
    ~
    Doug

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Congrats Doug.

where are you located? FL?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    2328

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Congrats Doug.

where are you located? FL?
    Thanks! Yes, Broward County.

My VIN:    3757

Welcome!

And your right... It is not fast, but somehow it is fun to drive... I did the Stage 1, and it sounds great, not too loud for me... But one of the most fun mods is the Wing-A-Loft remote doors... It is great to just push a button and the opens for you, and when you walk away you can lock it with the push of a button...

Enjoy and post some pic's

Craig

My VIN:    4357

Congrats Doug, I remember picking mine up and driving it back home, the people giving the thumbs up, snapping photos, the OK sign, and they have been doing it ever since.

My VIN:    2861

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Congrats! Sounds like you bought a nice one!
    Mike

2861 - Aug '81, 5-speed, black interior, gas-flap.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Congratulations and Welcome!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3589

That's awesome!

I remember my first drive,just a couple years ago. Yes, it's not a Cadillac with Air Ride seats, Heated Leather, air Conditioned Seats, and a BOSE 9 speaker stereo. And I wouldn't trade it for that either! It's just such as cool, classy, timeless design, freakin cool car. Welcome to the club Doug!

Doug

My VIN:    3305

Congratulations! This car has everything that is needed for a comfortable drive! Nothing more, nothing less!

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Great story Doug. I got mine also from Tony. Welcome home.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast