FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Cooling fans run constantly

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Do you have the original fan fail unit installed or do you have my unit (it has fuses on the top). It would be the blue relay looking item in the relay compartment.

This is what i have
    20141123_120914.jpg

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    This is what i have
    20141123_120914.jpg
    That is the original fan fail unit. It is known to cause failure of the cooling fans and was recalled to remove it and install jumpers in it's place.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Well do you think i will be safe to drive 1.5 hours to dmc in huntington beach? Its been driving fine, ive owned the car only a few weeks. Its been a real adventure so far everything i ever dreamed. Been doing what mechanical stuff i can. This one i was a little unsure. She doesnt overheat when i drive but that light scares me tbh. Im reading more into this unit. its a reed relay which is Normally open. hmm

Well do you think i will be safe to drive 1.5 hours to dmc in huntington beach? Its been driving fine, ive owned the car only a few weeks. Its been a real adventure so far everything i ever dreamed. Been doing what mechanical stuff i can. This one i was a little unsure. She doesnt overheat when i drive but that light scares me tbh.
    If it was me, I would make up the jumpers (I'm looking for the info). What you risk is both fans failing and then overheating the engine. Maybe it's just one fan circuit failing which may be enough to keep the engine cool.
    An overheated engine is an expensive fix that requires head gaskets and maybe more.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If it was me, I would make up the jumpers (I'm looking for the info). What you risk is both fans failing and then overheating the engine. Maybe it's just one fan circuit failing which may be enough to keep the engine cool.
    An overheated engine is an expensive fix that requires head gaskets and maybe more.

I think i will, its a short drive, but i want to do it safe. Im still learning where to buy parts. I snapped my throttle cable a few days ago, so i ordered a new inner cable and replaced it fine. Of all the things on my plate this is the only real serious issue. You a huge help, thank you

I think i will, its a short drive, but i want to do it safe. Im still learning where to buy parts. I snapped my throttle cable a few days ago, so i ordered a new inner cable and replaced it fine. Of all the things on my plate this is the only real serious issue. You a huge help, thank you
    Make sure you scan your gauges all the time and if you see the temp gauge go up, pull off the road.

Here is the jumper info:
    http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-06-9.82.html
    Dave M vin 03572

well ill do just that wont drive until i go up there tomorrow. I always keep an eye on my gauges! Thank you, ill bring this up to the folks @ huntington beach dmc. Thanks again, HUGE help.

My VIN:    4665

Found the most relevant thread I could. My problem is that the fans don't shut off after 20 seconds when the car is shut down. They keep running...forever. I have Dave's fan fail and fan relay modules. When I remove the fuses from the fan fail module the fans stop. If I put fuses back in the fans run forever, without the car running.

Sounds like it might be either fan fail or relay module with these symptoms.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by iflights; 07-02-2016 at 12:03 PM.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I think another owner had some issues with daves fan fail update. I believe there is a fix, so talk directly with Dave McKeen.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4665

Will do, thanks. After I wrote about this, I did isolate it to the fan relay itself, not fan fail. I replaced the new solid-state fan relay with the Tyco relay I took out, and fans acted normal and shutting down when engine is off.

I'll reach out to Dave.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4