FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Hood backup cable

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The cable is prone to break right where it goes through the bolt attaching it to the release handle. It gets bent in an arc and after repeated cycles it fatigues and breaks. The "good" thing is there is plenty of cable left to grab with a pliers or vise grip so you can still get the hood open. As for the back-up cable, IMHO it is better to end it under a bolt so you can find it quick, it is easier to pull, and you don't need a tool.
    Yes, I'm aware I can get the hood open with pliers or vice grips due to the material left over but you highlight the points I'm making:

1) repeated cycles
    2) fatigue and breaks
    3) unavoidably bent in an arc where it properly installs through the bolt; not due to bends/sharp turns due to improper installation.

I have zero desire to install a backup cable after installing a brand new cable. I may very well be dead of old age by the time this new one breaks coupled with zero preventative maintenance on it.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Throwing this out there... visiting a bicycle repair shop and getting about 4' of brake cable works well for a backup. Currently, my backup cable lays hidden and out of sight under the carpet.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    Throwing this out there... visiting a bicycle repair shop and getting about 4' of brake cable works well for a backup. Currently, my backup cable lays hidden and out of sight under the carpet.
    Thanks for that. I ordered the same as a replacement for the original. As simple and cheap as it is to replace along with how frequently it is used, I might add it to my 5 year maintenance schedule.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4