FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hood backup cable

My VIN:    5433

Hood backup cable

As a new owner I made a list of all the things I would like to do on my Delorean.
    Very high on the list was a hood backup cable. I already read that this was quite essential as there is no easy way to open the hood when the original cable would snap.

I bought a bicycle brake cable and now I was looking for a neat way to fasten the cable in the trunk. I think I read all the posts on a backup cable but I still didn't find a way I really liked on fastening the cable.

When I was looking through some junk I came across a shackle and I thought this maybe could work.
    The pin in the shackle was a little too thick so a had to make it a little thinner. I also drilled a hole to fasten the pin.
    On the second picture you can see the original pin and the one I made from the shackle.

The original pin was held by a spring but I preferred using a hitch pin to secure the pin.

In the end i really worked well and I am very pleased with the result.

Pascal
    Attached Images

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    there is no easy way to open the hood when the original cable would snap.
    Great work!

Another option is installing an electronic actuator - which pulls directly on the latch directly, completely bypassing the cable. Even if you don't have a Wings-A-Loft system you could still install just that one component and wire it to a switch hanging behind your console so you can push it in an emergency (though but might as well permanently mount it somewhere as it is immensely useful for full-time use rather than pulling the release handle under the dash).

Even though I have a Wings-A-Loft system I rarely open the trunk by remote as I also wired it to my custom centre console and just push a button when getting out to instantly pop it.

Otherwise, a backup cable is absolutely a good idea - it is possible to get a trunk open if the cable is snapped, but it's not something you'd ever want the stress of having to go through!
    Chris

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

nice day in the hood

Beings that I have a gas flap hood, I rigged a stiff wire handle to the latch. Now I open the "hood" from outside the car
    without having to open the door. I don't think i've used the inside one in years.

Paul Cerny 2691
    Kalispell, MT

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    As a new owner I made a list of all the things I would like to do on my Delorean.
    Very high on the list was a hood backup cable. I already read that this was quite essential as there is no easy way to open the hood when the original cable would snap.

I bought a bicycle brake cable and now I was looking for a neat way to fasten the cable in the trunk. I think I read all the posts on a backup cable but I still didn't find a way I really liked on fastening the cable.

When I was looking through some junk I came across a shackle and I thought this maybe could work.
    The pin in the shackle was a little too thick so a had to make it a little thinner. I also drilled a hole to fasten the pin.
    On the second picture you can see the original pin and the one I made from the shackle.

The original pin was held by a spring but I preferred using a hitch pin to secure the pin.

In the end i really worked well and I am very pleased with the result.

Pascal
    Very nice! You have got me thinking about this again, and it looks like a good winter project. Thanks for the contribution!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I would not consider having an electric actuator a "back-up". I also don't like the idea of being able to open the hood by opening the fuel door for security purposes. If you are going to do it for the original reason, to open the hood in the case where the primary cable breaks, you need to have a mechanical cable attached to the latch mechanism going into the passenger compartment where you can reach it. You should also test it once in a while just to be sure it works when you also inspect the primary cable. If you see fraying strands don't waste any time getting it fixed!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I bought a backup cable for my other car. and installed it in about a minute alongside the original one, in the same sheath and i thought using the same hole in the lever. No problem.

I just bought one for the second car, but the hole in the lever on the latch looks way too small to hold two cables at once - what have i forgotten?

Question:

Why do those cables break ?

I don't see a reason for it. There is no high force and it's used so rarely - why would it snap ?

One thing I could imagne is a sharp angle, but that's something that can be solved.

Did sembody waste his time with solving this question ?

Thanks,
    Elvis & 6548

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Question:

I don't see a reason for it. There is no high force and it's used so rarely - why would it snap ?

One thing I could imagne is a sharp angle, but that's something that can be solved.

Thanks,
    Elvis & 6548
    Good question. One easy thing to do is to remove the wire and apply a good grease all along that wire and put it back in the sleeve. We use to do this to brake wire for bikes and it prevent rust for good and it make the actuation very smooth. Here we have product like Rustcheck in spray (the green can) which is not a grease per see but certainly can last longer than a grease. But I guess you can also use grease used in aircraft and such.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Good question. One easy thing to do is to remove the wire and apply a good grease all along that wire and put it back in the sleeve. We use to do this to brake wire for bikes and it prevent rust for good and it make the actuation very smooth. Here we have product like Rustcheck in spray (the green can) which is not a grease per see but certainly can last longer than a grease. But I guess you can also use grease used in aircraft and such.
    The cable usually breaks right where it attaches to the release handle. As it moves, the handle moves through an arc and bends the cable pretty severely right at that point. One spot to always look at for any signs of fraying. Even though it may be used rarely try to guess how many times it gets pulled in 30 years. The back-up cable is so inexpensive and can save you so much aggravation it just makes sense to have it.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Question:

Thanks,
    Elvis & 6548

Because so many people pull VERY Hard on the handle expecting the hood to pop. Then the bracket that holds the cable bends. Then the cable comes out of the bracket at a right angle and frays. Then in breaks.

The fix is to be sure that the cable is coming straight out of the hold in the jacket, and break the fingers of anyone but yourself who opens the bonnet.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast