FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Striker pin grommet alternative?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Striker pin grommet alternative?

I did a door swap recently, and had DMCCA re align the striker pins for me. In doing so they had to add a number of washers to one of the striker pins so it would shift inwards. The door is now aligned but with so many washers I can't install a striker pin grommet as it would have to be basically conical and the pin looks unfinished. Has anyone found a work around that looks good?

T

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I did a door swap recently, and had DMCCA re align the striker pins for me. In doing so they had to add a number of washers to one of the striker pins so it would shift inwards. The door is now aligned but with so many washers I can't install a striker pin grommet as it would have to be basically conical and the pin looks unfinished. Has anyone found a work around that looks good?

T
    Let me know when you find out. Mine don't sit right either. Its a bummer. They clean the door striker pins up nicely but I have the same issue.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post

T
    Hi Tom,
    Hate to say it but you probably should have positioned the door closer to the striker when you aligned the hinges. I'm going to assume it's the front striker you're talking about as this is a common problem on early VIN's. My standard solution (short of a major re-alinement if you're happy with the opening & closing) is to substitute all but the last shim with standard size hardened 12.9 grade 12mm washers which allows the factory 110728 grommet to "telescope" over the smaller washers and looks much more professional. I could throw some in the mail if you can't find them locally. Superglue gel formula works best for the adhesive. How about sending a picture of "the situation";)

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I have the same problem - my driver's side front pin. In my case I think the PO whacked the door on a garage door frame as it looks like the shape of the door is off.
    Anyway... You can also widen the hole in the grommet to allow the spacer washers to fit. Not as attractive but it works.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!