FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engine with block rot question

Engine with block rot question

So it turns out I have some block rot going on down in the valley and I will be looking for a good used engine next spring. Is my engine worth anything and if so do I sell it or am I better off to keep it for all the parts?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Depends if your looking to swap it for an engine from a Volvo or from a DeLorean, also depends on what bits you get on your replacement engine (fuel/electrics/etc) condition may be unknown so you may wish to keep yours as good spares. If it were me I would keep everything (if you have the space) you can always get rid off stuff later when you know you don't need it!
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    So it turns out I have some block rot going on down in the valley and I will be looking for a good used engine next spring. Is my engine worth anything and if so do I sell it or am I better off to keep it for all the parts?
    Sandwich plate and sump are dmc specific and can be useful if you intend to install another variant of the PRV engine.

I'm in the same situation, but have a volvo engine to drop in which requires the sandwich plate and sump of my old engine.

Don't chuck anything, at least not till you car is back up and running with the replacement engine.

J

Thanks for the tips guys, what a way to end the year with block rot.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

Block rot ?

How does one know it is block rot that oil is coming out ? I have a Delorean and the oil seems to be coming from the waterpump ? There is a sound also that is made like bubbles of water from the engine. When the car is turned off - oil below is dripping again from the water pump area ? So can oil be coming from the water pump compared to block rot ? I am praying tonight that it could be merely the water pump? Anyone there to respond back with good news ? This originally happen when the car was overheating and mist of antifreeze was found in the engine compartment - The fan was not coming on which resulted in this problem - but there was not oil at that time -Today - spray of oil is coming out from the area of the water pump.... Thus, should I panic ? Lou

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by psahos View Post
    Thus, should I panic ? Lou
    Maybe not panic, but get your bank account warmed up. . . . See PM./Email.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    1472

I found a way to repair the block involving machining the valley. I have a complete engine that was running. I have made a swap for a different kind of engine but my original engine had corrosion that made it thru the crankcase on inspection. I could repair this engine and this would also eliminate the deep pocket collecting water and dust in the valley. But I think even if I make this engine top notch it is not worth it because I will not be able to sell it at a price that is worth the time and parts put into it.

I can weld a square piece of aluminum in the valley to seal the leak. Cast aluminum, even if dirty, is no problem. I'm just outside of Washington, DC if you can find a way to bring it here.

If you decide not to repair it, I would be interested in purchasing it.

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

I can weld a square piece of aluminum in the valley to seal the leak. Cast aluminum, even if dirty, is no problem. I'm just outside of Washington, DC if you can find a way to bring it here.
    Be interested to see some pictures of this repair, we tried this on mine and it did not work, the oil pressure just found the next weakest point to get out. I will see if I can dig out pictures from when we tried it.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    1472

Welding works if the hole is thru the crankcase. And you have to remove all corrosion before inside to stop it. If the hole goes thru the oil valley it will not repair this. Also welding introduce some small distortion. When welding on a engine or transmission you have to be careful where you do it. At this place it is no problem thought and it is the good way to repair if after you removed all traces of corrosion and confirmed oil passages integrity are not compromised.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast