FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It's TOTALED!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Full moon yesterday and saw two pile-ups on the way home nearly 50 feet apart from each other, about 4-5 cars in each one.

People drive crazy during full moons for some reason.
    Too much texting.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Full moon yesterday and saw two pile-ups on the way home nearly 50 feet apart from each other, about 4-5 cars in each one.

People drive crazy during full moons for some reason.
    Since the accident, I've personally witnessed three people in front of me gun it early on a red light and go right through the intersection on red. Once they make it through, then it goes green. I don't know what it is, but there's bad drivers all over recently. Just glad my encounter with one damaged my car and not me (as of yet, anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Too much texting.
    The sad truth to this is that just yesterday I saw a report that said that a whopping 98% of drivers use their cell phones while driving. 98%!!!!! This is one of the few times where I am so proud to be in the 2%, i.e. the portion that doesn't use cell phones while driving at all. When I was in college and smashed my sideview mirror against the rear of a semi truck, I pulled over to call my parents, who didn't pick up. They called me back when I was on the road, and I missed so many turns on the way home I knew it wasn't a good idea. Tried once or twice since then, and have never been comfortable even using hands-free. Takes way too much concentration to do for a guy like me. I'm just happy singing along with a good song on the radio or one in my head. No need to do something that can wait

(And yes, I have intentionally ignored very important calls because I was driving, on numerous occasions. I simply do not feel that ANY call is worth more than my own life.)

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    (And yes, I have intentionally ignored very important calls because I was driving, on numerous occasions. I simply do not feel that ANY call is worth more than my own life.)
    Does the Impreza not come standard with bluetooth? My '13 Legacy did.

You thinking about getting another Subaru? I've owned 2, and they've been the most reliable vehicles I've ever bought.
    Louie Golden

While this is aimed at no one in particular, I figure I'll share this anyways for those that want to listen:

USAA sucks major, MAJOR balls to deal with. There's a TON of bureaucracy, everyone pointing fingers at someone else, only giving you 1% of what you should know, trying to blame their own incompetence on YOUR insurance company, it's just bullshit all around really. I've talked to least 5-10 different people there and every single one tells me something different. One guy told me the rental car limit was $30 a day, followed by someone else who told me they were "only legally required to give me $26 a day" and would add in an extra 99 cents "as a courtesy" (I mean seriously, your driver gives my car a sudden anal probing and you're bitching over paying me a dollar a day?). Then they tell me they'll appraise the car on Monday, no wait Tuesday, no wait your insurance called and told us not to, so it'll be a couple days and they'll have to issue an override. Goddamn USAA, get your shit together, seriously. Worse yet: every single time I call (during business hours no less), I get that "every single operator is busy, please wait" message and am put on hold. I have yet to avoid that, even when direct-dialing an extension (which always goes to voicemail). At this point, if USAA doesn't get their shit together and give me a reasonable value on the car, I'm shopping for a good lawyer. I don't care that they're bigger than I am, I'm not afraid of them and they need to learn their lesson. Period.

[/venting rant]

Anyways, back to responding to people

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    It does, but as I said, I "have never been comfortable even using hands-free", so that's out. I may opt for it just for the sync capabilities, but definitely not for the phone calling or texting.

You thinking about getting another Subaru? I've owned 2, and they've been the most reliable vehicles I've ever bought.
    Indeed I am, and if I can get the timing worked out, I'll probably get a 2015 Impreza. My parents have told me I can borrow one of their cars until they come out, but it all depends on finances. We'll see how that goes.

+1

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    While this is aimed at no one in particular, I figure I'll share this anyways for those that want to listen:

USAA sucks major, MAJOR balls to deal with. There's a TON of bureaucracy, everyone pointing fingers at someone else, only giving you 1% of what you should know, trying to blame their own incompetence on YOUR insurance company, it's just bullshit all around really. I've talked to least 5-10 different people there and every single one tells me something different. One guy told me the rental car limit was $30 a day, followed by someone else who told me they were "only legally required to give me $26 a day" and would add in an extra 99 cents "as a courtesy" (I mean seriously, your driver gives my car a sudden anal probing and you're bitching over paying me a dollar a day?). Then they tell me they'll appraise the car on Monday, no wait Tuesday, no wait your insurance called and told us not to, so it'll be a couple days and they'll have to issue an override. Goddamn USAA, get your shit together, seriously. Worse yet: every single time I call (during business hours no less), I get that "every single operator is busy, please wait" message and am put on hold. I have yet to avoid that, even when direct-dialing an extension (which always goes to voicemail). At this point, if USAA doesn't get their shit together and give me a reasonable value on the car, I'm shopping for a good lawyer. I don't care that they're bigger than I am, I'm not afraid of them and they need to learn their lesson. Period.

[/venting rant]

Anyways, back to responding to people

It does, but as I said, I "have never been comfortable even using hands-free", so that's out. I may opt for it just for the sync capabilities, but definitely not for the phone calling or texting.

Indeed I am, and if I can get the timing worked out, I'll probably get a 2015 Impreza. My parents have told me I can borrow one of their cars until they come out, but it all depends on finances. We'll see how that goes.
    Shep - you have another option - you can just use your insurance company - they will pay you themselves and then go after USAA. You will lose the deductible - but if they offer $4k more than USAA you came out ahead. It would be silly not to at least get your companies offer for comparison. Do that before hiring a lawyer.

By the way - check out the Chevy Volt. Its an outstanding car, off the charts in customer satisfaction, and about $25k net. I'm at 1000 mpg currently (25k miles on 25 gallons). Total fuel (electric-$950 and gas -$100) and maintenance costs ($69)combined are about $1100 for that distance. Best car I've ever had.
    Last edited by TTait; 11-07-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    By the way - check out the Chevy Volt. Its an outstanding car, off the charts in customer satisfaction, and about $25k net. I'm at 1000 mpg currently (25k miles on 25 gallons). Total fuel (electric-$950 and gas -$100) and maintenance costs ($69)combined are about $1100 for that distance. Best car I've ever had.
    I'm sorry, but at what point did a thread about my car getting rear-ended with a 55 MPH difference that resulted in a total loss and minor injuries due entirely to the safety of my car become about fuel economy? Gas is less than $3 a gallon here, it doesn't really matter what kind of mileage and distance I get from it. I'm sure the Volt is a reliable car, but frankly this:

- Chevy Volt 'acceptable,' Nissan Leaf 'poor' in new IIHS safety tests
    - IIHS Tests Small Cars On Small Overlap: Volt Does OK, Leaf 'Struggles'

Scares the shit out of me. Praise fuel economy all you want, but the fact of the matter is that cars (and yes, even the money in your wallet) is replaceable. Human lives are not, which is why I'm staying with Subaru.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Never mind Shep...

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

If safety is a top concern, then you want a Tesla Model S! While not tested by the IIHS yet, it's the highest scoring car of all by NHTSA. Built like a tank and even cheaper to fuel then a Volt. Purchase price is another matter though. LOL

Damn it all, just woke up with MASSIVE muscle pain in my left calf at 1:20 in the morning. Managed to grab my phone and hobble over to the bathroom, but sweet merciful Jesus it hurts. Looks like this isn't over yet unfortunately...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2