FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door Rubber Seals

My VIN:    Jan '82 #11153

Door Rubber Seals

Well I'm trying to line up projects on the car for the winter and am thinking about replacing the rubber seals around the doors. Both sides leak in the top front corner and the head liner is stained. So should I try this or leave well enough alone or is it not a big deal? How is the rubber attached - friction, glue, etc.? I was told at a Delorean gathering that I should adjust were the rubber seal is connected. Can anybody elaborate? Any other pointers I should know/consider? Thanks for all the help I know that's coming!

My VIN:    3937

Could you post a photo of your headliner and door seals? Maybe your headliner material is stretched too far and is wicking moisture from outside the seal to inside?

The adjustment at the corners you've heard about might be where you can sometimes need to shave/sand down a bit of the fiberglass material to get the door seal to clip all the way on. They clip on too, by the way, no glue. And you generally put the start and finish of the door seal loop together at about the spot where the door plungers are. And you can glue those two ends together if you'd like.

One trick is to see that your doors are aligned well and closing ok while the door seal is off. People doing door alignment will do this to make sure they got it right as a bulky door seal will cause the doors to clunk closed. You can lubricate the seals with a silicone grease (GM sells one in a little tube). Put some on your finger and then smear a bit on the length of the door seal all the way around to let the door slide by the seal more easily. When they rip in the corners, that's part of the reason why. Either doors not aligned well or poorly lubed seals or both.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Could you post a photo of your headliner and door seals? Maybe your headliner material is stretched too far and is wicking moisture from outside the seal to inside?
    Good point there. Do be sure you know what is causing the leak. Am assuming the stained headliner is the fixed headliner, the one all across the car behind the windshield, not the upper door headliners.

Photos would help, as mentioned.

A. It could be bad/failed sealant at the windshield corners between the windshield and the body tub/frame.
    B. More likely it is an improperly-installed headliner. Too long on the fabric underneath the seals. Not usually stretched too much but rather cut too long (they come with extra fabric all around and it all needs to be trimmed. The "long" fabric sees the water in the channel and sucks it up and over the lip beneath the seal.

In either of those cases a new inner door seal will do nothing for you by itself.

Just a guess that the $$ you were going to spend on 2 new inner seals is better spent on a headliner replacement job. With correct fabric trimming this time. All around, not only at these corners...

Pull the seal off at the corner and tell us how far past the fiberglass lip the fabric in that area is underneath.
    Last edited by Rich; 11-01-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    B. More likely it is an improperly-installed headliner. Too long on the fabric underneath the seals. Not usually stretched too much but rather cut too long (they come with extra fabric all around and it all needs to be trimmed. The "long" fabric sees the water in the channel and sucks it up and over the lip beneath the seal.
    Thanks Rich. That's a better choice of words than I used. You're right, it's "cut too long" as opposed to being stretched. Good catch.

I neglected to mention that the rubber seal corners are ripped up. That's why I think it is the seals. The doors seem to close properly. They do have some variable size gaps around the door frame but I thought that was typical. I hate to mess with them and screw that up.

You can see in the first picture the rubber seal is ripped up. The stains on both the headliner and door liner are stained from the seal area away. Both doors are pretty much the same.
    Attached Images

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Wear issues like this are due to inconsistencies in the fiberglass body. Installing new seals will not fix the wear issues on the gaskets. The fiberglass needs to be reworked to properly match the door fitment to the body to prevent this from happening again.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    6313

Or I could be that placing the seal on the door frame was a bad design to start with (yes there are design flaws). You have the bulb of the seal mishappened by going around the corner and also use, so that the door prematurely strikes it as it closes causing the tear. Other arrangements like moving the weather seal bulb to the door are possible and don't require major fiberglass surgery. The bend in the gullwing doors causes the issue due to the door passing the frame right at the windscreen top outside corners while the door is still several inches from latching.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

I was at a DeLorean club function this weekend and had some guys look at it. It also seems the door head liner is sticking out in that area and rubbing the rubber seal. I'm thinking I might need to take it off and cut it back before I even think of the fiberglass work?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
    It also seems the door head liner is sticking out in that area and rubbing the rubber seal. I'm thinking I might need to take it off and cut it back...
    You are thinking correctly now that you've seen there is headliner fabric where it doesn't belong - exposed to water on the other side of the rubber seal. Not sure what you mean by the headliner "rubbing the rubber seal". Am assuming you mean there's some headliner exposed on the far side of the seal. Have a look after you pop off the seal in the areas that are stained.

See posts 2 and 3 in this thread, among others.

Any headliner fabric that is exposed in the 'gutter' around the door opening is very likely to create a water stain and even drip in the car as if there is a "leak" when in fact it is behaving like a siphon, pulling water up and over the fiberglass lip with moisture wicking beneath the rubber seal into the car. In this case the seal itself isn't the problem, at least not the leak source.

The root cause is an improperly-installed headliner.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast