FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vin 11408, LS Swap

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Vin 11408, LS Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Truthfully, I'm just bracing myself for in 18 months when you ditch the LS and swap in a new LT1 from a 2014 vette!! Maybe we can make that swap together!! Haha
    Yes but go with a transaxle 4 wheel drive while you are at it shaft can run through the frame.
    And move some weight forward. Like the battery, in trunk fuel tank and transmission! Oh, and don't forget power steering! With all that weight, impossible to steer.

Or just have a corvette modified t gull wing doors and Chris N. Make you custom stainless panels for it half the work I think.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Yes but go with a transaxle 4 wheel drive while you are at it shaft can run through the frame.
    And move some weight forward. Like the battery, in trunk fuel tank and transmission! Oh, and don't forget power steering! With all that weight, impossible to steer.

Or just have a corvette modified t gull wing doors and Chris N. Make you custom stainless panels for it half the work I think.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Question for the LS experts here.

Silly question, but -- in theory -- if I wanted to make a full drivetrain swap from an automatic Corvette, would the GM 4L60-E transmission fit?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Silly question, but -- in theory -- if I wanted to make a full drivetrain swap from an automatic Corvette, would the GM 4L60-E transmission fit?
    That would be the least of your problems. Anything can fit with enough torch.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

The c6 underpinnings do look a tad familiar...

c6 chassis.jpg

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    There is a UN-Series transaxle that was designed for AWD. The output shaft would connect to a Viscous Coupling. Renault 21 Turbo Quadra if I remember correctly.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Nothing is impossible but this is getting pretty close. The 4L60, like the T56 is just a transmission. There is no differential inside. Just an input shaft in one side and an output shaft out the other side. The Delorean transmissions are both transaxles, in that they have an input shaft that drives an output shaft that drives a differential that is built into the transmission, and 2 output shafts come out of the side of the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    There is a UN-Series transaxle that was designed for AWD. The output shaft would connect to a Viscous Coupling. Renault 21 Turbo Quadra if I remember correctly.
    Really? Interesting; do you have any other information on it?? I thought I had collected about as much information on the UN1, UN5, 369, and 367 transaxles as you could. I've never seen or heard any mention of an AWD version of the gearbox. Are you sure it was part of the UN1 series? If you have any other info, I'm definitely interested.

EDIT: Did some digging and it looks like you're right; the there was a Renault UN7 gearbox produced that was built off a similar platform as the rest, but with a transfer case on the back end. Looks like they're fairly rare (rare even compared to UN1s and 369s) but man I'd love to get ahold of one to play with!!
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 11-11-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Really? Interesting; do you have any other information on it?? I thought I had collected about as much information on the UN1, UN5, 369, and 367 transaxles as you could. I've never seen or heard any mention of an AWD version of the gearbox. Are you sure it was part of the UN1 series? If you have any other info, I'm definitely interested.

EDIT: Did some digging and it looks like you're right; the there was a Renault UN7 gearbox produced that was built off a similar platform as the rest, but with a transfer case on the back end. Looks like they're fairly rare (rare even compared to UN1s and 369s) but man I'd love to get ahold of one to play with!!
    I had to do some more research here. So apparently is is a true Transfer Case. Instead of a chain connecting to an offset output, it looks as though it's a sliding gear that engages the continuing output. From there it's a carrier support bearing for the output shaft with a yoke on the end. From there the rear differential was indeed a Viscous Coupling.

renault-18-4x4.jpg renault-18-break-4x4-1.JPG photo1-boite-vitesse-renault-espace-quadra-98-mille-klm-200s-1-4xdx3x0w802271.jpg

Anything is possible of course, but the biggest concern would be the fuel tank. Stick with the PRV, but turbo charge it for power. Then motorize the transfer case. From there we'd need new spindles up front, and you could just construct the mounting for the driveshafts and differentials. But that fuel tank is your biggest concern. If you can figure out how to relocate that, you'd be in like flynn.

I really need to learn French and network some connections in. Stateside and in the UK, ANY Renault gearbox is usually clearing at least £1K+. But in France on these smaller sites, people are unloading these things for 200€. Both the UN7 as well as other UN-Series variants.
    Robert

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

The 4L60, like the T56 is just a transmission. There is no differential inside. Just an input shaft in one side and an output shaft out the other side. The Delorean transmissions are both transaxles, in that they have an input shaft that drives an output shaft that drives a differential that is built into the transmission, and 2 output shafts come out of the side of the transmission.
    Thanks, Nicholas! That just shows my ignorance: I thought "transaxle" was British English for "transmission" in American English! LOL

Even at my age, I like to learn stuff.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Thanks, Nicholas! That just shows my ignorance: I thought "transaxle" was British English for "transmission" in American English! LOL

Even at my age, I like to learn stuff.
    I've heard too that since in England they call cookies "biscuits", when Brits eat fast food breakfast at an American McDonald's or other place for the first time, they're confused and disgusted by percieved "sausage cookies"...
    Robert

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast