FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Vin 11408, LS Swap

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Better late than never, the modifications to my car from this last season. Expect more updates in the future, as I have the need to pull my engine annually for some reason... LOL.

My clutch was slipping BAD so I pulled the engine to investigate.
    Turns out the stock valeo setup isnt meant to hold 300+ crank hp. Rookie mistake on my part.

The fix to this problem was to upgrade to a Nissan 350z pressure plate with a delorean kevlar faced clutch. This has been pioneered by eddie and his VR6 swaps, I cannot take credit for this idea!

The clutch fork was also modified to allow the slave to be removed with the engine in place, no modifications needed to the length of the slave, and give me some more clearance.

The 350z release bearing was integrated with the delorean one with a machined and welded fixture.

Offset slave cylinder.

Everything put together. The flywheel was re drilled and refaced to accommodate the Nissan pressure plate. It is much larger in diameter than the delorean one, only 2mm to spare in diameter on the flywheel.

Eliminated the crossgate cable and made a rigid rod in its place. Shifts require less effort than before, and are more precise. You can only do so much with a UN1, it is a hard shifting transmission by nature I have found.

Almost all together. Now with AC! I used the gm AC compressor.

All together.

The new clutch setup works great over the 15,000kms I put on it this summer. Very nice to have AC finally as well. Up next will be swapping out the transmission with something with 6 speeds and better ratios. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Josh; 12-29-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    2706

Nice work Josh!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Your work never ceases to amaze me.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    7178

Club(s):   (DMA)

I just love how clean this engine bay looks. (Not to mention the extra HP!)
    "If you're going to spend your inheritance on a car, why not do it with some style!"

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Yes, Josh, I can vouch for Eddie's clutch design. It's worked flawlessly for me so far.

So you replaced the crossgate cable with a rigid rod.... Interesting. If there's anything I desire, that would be a more precise shifting. Are there any drawings, or a BOM to share for the rigid rod?
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Thanks for the compliments guys!

As for the shift rods, no drawings on them. I will be moving on to a different shift mechanism due to changing transmissions in 2017, so If you are interested these parts will be up for grabs.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    1472

Extra nice work. I am putting the body back on mine. Taking care of every little thing I find in the process like a bug in my cluster, steering column bushing, new clutch master, DBW C5 pedal. Most of the the wiring have been cut in both door by PO and the interior is in pieces. The exhaust have been mock up and I'm putting back the body to get the exact positioning of the mufflers so everything align real nice. Looking forward for the west meets the east for a Canadian beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Thanks for the kind words sir! Nick really got the ball rolling in terms of LS swaps, I think there are now 6 or 7 completed or in progress swaps across the world.
    I am/we are currently only aware of three LS engine swaps, but this is the very sort of thing I like to keep track of. So if you have the VINs of the others, I'd be much obliged to know about them....

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

UN 1 Trans?

Josh,

As you sure the UN 1 will handle the torque? The UN1 is essentially a ZF3HP16HL, these internals won't handle the torque from a LS.

I approached the same torque limitations with my Rover V8 upgrade and decided to go with a ZF4HP22E which can handle torque and HP. It fits the D frame with some custom brackets.

Bob

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    Josh,

As you sure the UN 1 will handle the torque? The UN1 is essentially a ZF3HP16HL, these internals won't handle the torque from a LS.

I approached the same torque limitations with my Rover V8 upgrade and decided to go with a ZF4HP22E which can handle torque and HP. It fits the D frame with some custom brackets.

Bob
    Just curious, which components are you concerned about?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast