Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Results 81 to 88 of 88

Thread: Vin 11408, LS Swap

  1. #81
    Senior Member mr_maxime's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2015

    Posts:    828

    My VIN:    10201

    What transmission are you looking to upgrade to?

  2. #82
    Senior Member Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    1,650

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (TXDMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    Josh,

    As you sure the UN 1 will handle the torque? The UN1 is essentially a ZF3HP16HL, these internals won't handle the torque from a LS.

    I approached the same torque limitations with my Rover V8 upgrade and decided to go with a ZF4HP22E which can handle torque and HP. It fits the D frame with some custom brackets.

    Bob
    I dont really see how you can make a statement like that, Nick and I have successfully ran the UN1 in our swaps for many miles. Nick is much more knowledgeable about this transmission than I, I would like to see this discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    What transmission are you looking to upgrade to?
    I have the transmission sitting in the corner of my garage right now. It is a 6sp out of a 2011 Subaru Legacy.
    There are three versions of this transmission, Non turbo, Turbo, and Diesel. I picked up the Diesel variant as the gear ratios are much closer to what I am shooting for. Cruising at 70mph I will be turning <2000rpm rather than >2600rpm which will get me to my 30mpg goal. The gears are wider than the UN1 (can handle 300ft-lbs easily) and upgraded gear sets are available. It is a much smoother shifting transmission, and it has an integrated speed sensor for my ecu. The physical size is the same as the UN1 so no frame modifications will be necessary. I think it will tie things together nicely and really transform the car. The diff will need to be flipped and the PTO blocked off but a company out of Australia (Subarugears) makes these parts so it is very straight forward. It is not the strongest transmission out there, a Porsche G50 would be awesome, but it is affordable and gives more headroom than the UN1 as well as some nice additions.

    The starting point will be pulling my UN1 so I can model up a flywheel, adapter plate, mounts, and shift linkages.
    Last edited by Josh; 01-02-2017 at 02:19 PM.

  3. #83
    Matt Drive Stainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Location:  Washington D.C.

    Posts:    431

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The physical size is the same as the UN1 so no frame modifications will be necessary. I think it will tie things together nicely and really transform the car. The diff will need to be flipped and the PTO blocked off but a company out of Australia (Subarugears) makes these parts so it is very straight forward. It is not the strongest transmission out there, a Porsche G50 would be awesome, but it is affordable and gives more headroom than the UN1 as well as some nice additions.
    Actually, according to my notes, that Subaru trans will be about 6" shorter than the Renault/DMC trans after you remove the PTO stuff (and not counting the shift linkage components).
    New & Improved V3 S/S Alternator Tensioning Bracket - $39.99
    New & Used DeLorean Parts on eBay HERE.
    S/S Upper Alternator Bracket for Saturn/Autozone Alternator - $39.99
    QA1 Coil-Over Suspension Kit - Complete Kit - $1,149.99 w/ FREE SHIPPING
    QA1 "DIY" Coil-Over Suspension Kit - $99.99
    Mirror switch rebuilding service w/ new springs & ball bearings - $49.50
    HEI Performance Ignition Module (Exchange) - $149.99
    Welding services also (all metals)!
    http://www.drivestainless.com

  4. #84
    Senior Member Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    1,650

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (TXDMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Actually, according to my notes, that Subaru trans will be about 6" shorter than the Renault/DMC trans after you remove the PTO stuff (and not counting the shift linkage components).
    This is true for the 5 speed. Not the 6 speed, as it has another gear hanging off the ass end!
    The 6 speed is cable shift so it has a different shifter setup that does not protrude out the back. It is similar to the delorean setup, one lever for front to back, one lever for side to side.
    I can give you some dimensions if you want.

  5. #85
    Senior Member mr_maxime's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2015

    Posts:    828

    My VIN:    10201

    Im assuming you will post pictures because I am very interested in this. Im interested in the eventual LS swap, but I plan on doing everything else first so I've been curious about a transmission swap. I have seen a 6 speed UN1 mentioned on the Delorean.co.uk site and was thinking whatever upgraded transmission he had would be the only viable option. I remember nick mentioning that the LS is slightly longer than the PRV and that the UN1 had to be moved. I think he also said that most Porsche transmissions would be longer than the UN1.

  6. #86
    Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fernandina Beach Fl

    Posts:    1,799

    My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Dyno results

    VIN 11408 on the dyno. 314hp.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHwBUmG-_Y

  7. #87
    LS1 DMC Nicholas R's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Orlando, Florida

    Posts:    2,504

    My VIN:    01643

    Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    VIN 11408 on the dyno. 314hp.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHwBUmG-_Y
    I would imagine Josh was probably hoping to share this; I know I would have. Just some food for thought.

    Regardless, very well done Josh! I'm not concerned too much with the HP, as much as that torque curve! It's pretty damn hard to beat having 300+ Ftlbs of torque a low RPM like that. That's where the fun of driving these cars come in. Well done!!

  8. #88
    Senior Member Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    1,650

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (TXDMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I would imagine Josh was probably hoping to share this; I know I would have. Just some food for thought.

    Regardless, very well done Josh! I'm not concerned too much with the HP, as much as that torque curve! It's pretty damn hard to beat having 300+ Ftlbs of torque a low RPM like that. That's where the fun of driving these cars come in. Well done!!
    I have my suspicions that the dyno is reading a bit high, but I can't really confirm or deny that so I will just be extremely happy with the numbers!
    That certainly is the beauty of a cam in block V8. I really enjoy how it hits the start of the graph at 200ft-lbs...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •