FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Vin 11408, LS Swap

My VIN:    10201

What transmission are you looking to upgrade to?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    Josh,

As you sure the UN 1 will handle the torque? The UN1 is essentially a ZF3HP16HL, these internals won't handle the torque from a LS.

I approached the same torque limitations with my Rover V8 upgrade and decided to go with a ZF4HP22E which can handle torque and HP. It fits the D frame with some custom brackets.

Bob
    I dont really see how you can make a statement like that, Nick and I have successfully ran the UN1 in our swaps for many miles. Nick is much more knowledgeable about this transmission than I, I would like to see this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    What transmission are you looking to upgrade to?
    I have the transmission sitting in the corner of my garage right now. It is a 6sp out of a 2011 Subaru Legacy.
    There are three versions of this transmission, Non turbo, Turbo, and Diesel. I picked up the Diesel variant as the gear ratios are much closer to what I am shooting for. Cruising at 70mph I will be turning <2000rpm rather than >2600rpm which will get me to my 30mpg goal. The gears are wider than the UN1 (can handle 300ft-lbs easily) and upgraded gear sets are available. It is a much smoother shifting transmission, and it has an integrated speed sensor for my ecu. The physical size is the same as the UN1 so no frame modifications will be necessary. I think it will tie things together nicely and really transform the car. The diff will need to be flipped and the PTO blocked off but a company out of Australia (Subarugears) makes these parts so it is very straight forward. It is not the strongest transmission out there, a Porsche G50 would be awesome, but it is affordable and gives more headroom than the UN1 as well as some nice additions.

The starting point will be pulling my UN1 so I can model up a flywheel, adapter plate, mounts, and shift linkages.
    Last edited by Josh; 01-02-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The physical size is the same as the UN1 so no frame modifications will be necessary. I think it will tie things together nicely and really transform the car. The diff will need to be flipped and the PTO blocked off but a company out of Australia (Subarugears) makes these parts so it is very straight forward. It is not the strongest transmission out there, a Porsche G50 would be awesome, but it is affordable and gives more headroom than the UN1 as well as some nice additions.
    Actually, according to my notes, that Subaru trans will be about 6" shorter than the Renault/DMC trans after you remove the PTO stuff (and not counting the shift linkage components).

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Actually, according to my notes, that Subaru trans will be about 6" shorter than the Renault/DMC trans after you remove the PTO stuff (and not counting the shift linkage components).
    This is true for the 5 speed. Not the 6 speed, as it has another gear hanging off the ass end!
    The 6 speed is cable shift so it has a different shifter setup that does not protrude out the back. It is similar to the delorean setup, one lever for front to back, one lever for side to side.
    I can give you some dimensions if you want.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    10201

Im assuming you will post pictures because I am very interested in this. Im interested in the eventual LS swap, but I plan on doing everything else first so I've been curious about a transmission swap. I have seen a 6 speed UN1 mentioned on the Delorean.co.uk site and was thinking whatever upgraded transmission he had would be the only viable option. I remember nick mentioning that the LS is slightly longer than the PRV and that the UN1 had to be moved. I think he also said that most Porsche transmissions would be longer than the UN1.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Dyno results

VIN 11408 on the dyno. 314hp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHwBUmG-_Y

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    VIN 11408 on the dyno. 314hp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHwBUmG-_Y
    I would imagine Josh was probably hoping to share this; I know I would have. Just some food for thought.

Regardless, very well done Josh! I'm not concerned too much with the HP, as much as that torque curve! It's pretty damn hard to beat having 300+ Ftlbs of torque a low RPM like that. That's where the fun of driving these cars come in. Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I would imagine Josh was probably hoping to share this; I know I would have. Just some food for thought.

Regardless, very well done Josh! I'm not concerned too much with the HP, as much as that torque curve! It's pretty damn hard to beat having 300+ Ftlbs of torque a low RPM like that. That's where the fun of driving these cars come in. Well done!!
    I have my suspicions that the dyno is reading a bit high, but I can't really confirm or deny that so I will just be extremely happy with the numbers!
    That certainly is the beauty of a cam in block V8. I really enjoy how it hits the start of the graph at 200ft-lbs...

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Updating the thread these were the upgrades for 2017. A 6sp subaru transmission, works great. The UN1 served me well, I pulled it and sold it to another member. The subaru can handle a bit more power, the gearing is better for a v8, and it shifts much nicer than the UN1. The gearbox was converted to 2wd and reversed with parts from Subarugears, great guys to deal with.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Looks so badass.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast