FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Door lock operation.

My VIN:    1589

Door lock operation.

Just wondering if my door lock switches are operating properly. Both lock switches will lock both it's own door and the other door. The passenger door will also unlock itself and the driver door. However, the driver door lock switch will only unlock itself and not unlock the driver door. Is that they way it should operate? If not any ideas where to start trouble shooting the system. Thanks.

no, it should not work that way.

first thing - get the schematics and a multimeter,
    update the door lock ECU with the fuse and new relays,
    if the 10A fuse burns you know that the solenoids are toasted
    and need to be repaired (new wire inside).

well, the search should also be very helpful, it's a common problem.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

It could also be a bad bell crank switch in either door - item 100852 or 100853.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    It could also be a bad bell crank switch in either door - item 100852 or 100853.
    Sometimes all it takes is to clean the switch, it doesn't have to be replaced. You also must be sure everything is properly adjusted and both locks in both doors are in second locking position. Typically when there is a problem with the doors you must do the whole linkage adjustment procedure in both doors as per the Service Bulletin. If you are going to use the original locking module at least add a 10 amp fuse in the big red wire going to it.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Keep in mind that the rocker you are activating on, for example, the driver door is manually locking that door with a metal linkage. The solenoid is along for the ride but can be completely dead and the door you are activating will lock manually.

You either have a bad bellcrank switch in the opposite door or a dead solenoid in the door that works manually.

So in your case it's either a bad switch in the driver door or a bad solenoid in the passenger door (Assuming that's what you meant to say, your description is ambiguous).

The solenoid can be re-wound internally, or replaced, or replaced with an actuator motor (you need to do both sides at the same time if you go the motor route).

Or worst case a wiring problem in the roof but that's thankfully very rare.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dblincoln3 View Post
    Just wondering if my door lock switches are operating properly. Both lock switches will lock both it's own door and the other door. The passenger door will also unlock itself and the driver door. However, the driver door lock switch will only unlock itself and not unlock the driver door. Is that they way it should operate?
    You can probably gather this from the good replies already. As noted, no it should not operate that way.

Specifically it should go like this: Lock or unlock one door or the other and the opposite door's lock system should duplicate that actuation. Using either the door key or the inside lock rocker/lever.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03572

Also if your doors are locked and the inertia switch gets hit (pull plunger up) the doors should unlock.

It's hard to test that operation since you should not lock the doors if one is open. I actually did get in the car, lock the doors and get down under the dash and pull the switch.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Sorry for the confusion in my original post. The driver door will lock the passenger door, but not unlock the passenger door. The passenger door will lock and unlock the driver door. I checked continuity for all wires leading from the door lock module harness connector to both lock switch harness connectors as well as the solenoids harness connectors and they seem to be continuos. I also checked both the lock switches in their two positions and they seem to be okay. Is it possible for the passenger solenoid to be functioning in one direction, but not the other?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dblincoln3 View Post
    Is it possible for the passenger solenoid to be functioning in one direction, but not the other?
    Yes that is possible. The solenoids have two coils. One for lock the other for unlock. But then a connection to that second coil could also be bad. If you have an ohm meter you can test that the coil is not open or shorted.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Not sure what I did, but it is all working correctly now. I tried testing the solenoid with an ohm meter and I didn't detect a break or short. I plugged everything back together, tested the switches again and now it works. I wish I knew what I did to correct the problem, but I guess the important thing is it is working now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast