FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MAACO bumper paint special, $149

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I have not had anything painted at MAACO for over a decade, basically since the corner shop near me was replaced by a Starbucks (SB wanted the corner),
    but I had some pretty decent paint work done on some of my Winter cars and trucks, a few of my 944's and 928's, as well as some project work in the past.

Even the rear fascia on the D Rex was painted at that MAACO in mid-January of 2002 and it still looks very good, even being stored outdoors for over 6 years
    in the early and mid 2000's. The GT40RC was also done at that same MAACO back in 2003 and it looks good too, even being stored outdoors for over 6 years.

As others have mentioned, you need to see how they do the work at the shop you choose and try to do the prep work yourself, since the prep work is usually
    done by the guys closer to the bottom of the pay scale, while the paint work is done by the guys closer to the top of the pay scale. Good prep work counts.

The previous MAACO that I went to only did an OK job on an older pickup I had in the 90's, however, that shop is still in business. Not sure if I am ready to
    give the old shop another chance (since they are the only local shop left for me now), but I may take one of my older trucks there next Spring ... maybe.

Maaco is terrible. They made a mess of my old car, and the paint itself doesn't last. My standards were low.... should have had none. Monkeys with crayons would almost be better.

My VIN:    4158

How much do the monkeys with crayons charge?
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

From what I've heard, if you do all of the prep work, including stripping the old paint, sanding, and masking, MAACO will be okay....but the paint still won't last very long.

My VIN:    5482

Back in the mid 90s, I took my first truck to them to have it painted. Granted, it was a beater, something typical of a first car. Still, the paint looked great for about a week. Then I noticed it was starting to flake up off the bottom revealing the old paint behind it. It was worse when I washed it for the first time. I took it back and they resprayed it. A couple of weeks later, the same problem came back. This was one of my early lessons in that you pay for what you get. I would never take anything back to them.
    Jeff

My VIN:    10309

$300 for both bumpers seems high

I would recommend you take the bumpers off and do the prep work yourself. It's probably one of the easiest DIY jobs you can do, just time consuming. And while you're at it you can level out the front eyebrows and push out he rear bumper on the sides to make them even with the body. I would also recommend you get the paint mixed at the local quality paint store and take it to them to spray on. Also ask for several more coats of clear in exchange for the paint which is 4 times more expensive than clear. Before you go to MAACO check out one of the local body shops to see what they want to spray and clear the bumpers of all ready prepped with paint supplied it would probably be cheaper or the same as MAACO. Prep should always take much longer than painting.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    ..... I would also recommend you get the paint mixed at the local quality paint store and take it to them to spray on. .... :
    Good luck with that. Shops are typically wed to a particular brand of paint, and bringing in something else won't be compatible with their solvents. I'd be surprised if a body shop would entertain someone bringing in their own paint.

Do you bring your own food for a restaurant to cook up?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Don't waste any time with them. If you are willing and able to do the prep work yourself, just paint it yourself too. You won't do any worse than they will. The only difference between you doing it and Maaco doing it is your labor for yourself is free.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Quote Originally Posted by darylfelsberg View Post
    How much do the monkeys with crayons charge?
    Five bananas, tops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2