FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New owner, beginning with cross country trip....advice

New owner, beginning with cross country trip....advice

Hello,
    I am looking forward to joining the Delorean community. I am flying to Bend, OR Sunday (yes, I've seen the snow) to purchase 1417 and bring back to MS. Taking extra belts, wiper blades, zip ties, fuse assortment, flashlight, printout of shared parts, etc that I can get in my carry on bag.
    Dealer has checked car and noted no mechanical issues.
    What would you recommend I grab from the auto parts store before I hit the road on the way home? What size is the tensioner bolt in case I need to replace the belts?
    Thinking- ratchet set, wrench set (std or metric), pliers, multi-tip screwdriver, hose clamp assortment, knife/blade, 50/50 coolant mix (maybe), jumper cables, ......
    Check spare, battery, tire pressures, lighting, ......

I've done similar trips with mixed results but always a good time and stories. If you know anything about this car, please pass the info along here or through pm. Advice for the trip is most welcome.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by 63SWC View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking forward to joining the Delorean community. I am flying to Bend, OR Sunday (yes, I've seen the snow) to purchase 1417 and bring back to MS. Taking extra belts, wiper blades, zip ties, fuse assortment, flashlight, printout of shared parts, etc that I can get in my carry on bag.
    What would you recommend I grab from the auto parts store before I hit the road on the way home? What size is the tensioner bolt in case I need to replace the belts?
    Thinking- ratchet set, wrench set (std or metric), pliers, multi-tip screwdriver, hose clamp assortment, knife/blade, 50/50 coolant mix (maybe), jumper cables, ......
    Check spare, battery, tire pressures, lighting, ......

I've done similar trips with mixed results but always a good time and stories. If you know anything about this car, please pass the info along here or through pm. Advice for the trip is most welcome.
    Multimeter, wire stripper, crimper, connectors, metric wrenches, road flares, smartphone with data plan, and most importantly - a AAA card with 100 mile or more towing included. Don't try to use the spare tire.

Buy any and all tools you may need at a Sears in OR - you can return them unused if you like when you get home. if there is any doubt about a tool, throw it in - if you don't use it the tool on the trip it costs you nothing.

Before you head out install a cable tire around the coolant pipe below the AC compressor and between the two prongs on the otterstadt valve - see posts 32 and 43 in this thread http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?84...ed-Today/page5

Take it to a jiffy lube or similar shop and get the angle drive and suspension lubed. Only use good quality gas - check your oil and water often.

Consider posting your intended route and trying to make contact with owners in advance here and there along the way - make a map showing where owners from this forum who reply live, with their cell numbers. a lot of problems can be vexing to a new owner or an average mechanic that are no big deal for seasoned owners.
    Last edited by TTait; 11-15-2014 at 01:46 AM.

My VIN:    03572

Congratulations on your purchase. You won't get that tool bag as carry on. Also don't have flares in your luggage.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thanks TTait and Bitsyncmaster. I am planning on purchasing the tools once in Oregon. The TSA "no tool over 7 inches" eliminated taking my own unless I checked the bag which I plan to avoid.

I will add the items mentioned to my kit.

As far as route, first goal is to get out of Oregon. Heading south on 97 or southeast on 20/95 from Bend in direction of Las Vegas traveling through central Nevada. We would like to stop there, then continue east on I40 to Amarillo, and then through Wichita Falls and Dallas on to MS.

If you live along this route, and want to PM me a contact number, I will certainly "phone a friend" if need arises.

Thanks again for any suggestions or helpful tips.

My VIN:    3937

Print this out and take it with you:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?99...shooting-Guide

Anything you think you might be able to tackle on the side of the road, try it and find out. Not in advance of course when you don't even have the car yet, but if you think you might jumper something or replace a belt, go through (at least in your mind) each step and ensure you have the tools or parts you'll need. No sense carrying replacement parts or tools in the car if it's something you would never repair yourself on the side of the road (like TABs or a pan gasket for example).

----> perhaps now that Rob Grady has joined the forum, he might take a look at the "break down cheat sheet" that was authored by his people and advise if a better PDF of the document can be uploaded. I have this better PDF document that was edited or revised (2001 V3.0) but will not post unless I have permission.

Awesome Jonathan. I will print and carry along. Goes well with the list of interchangeable parts I got off the site as well. Thanks to all the hard working people who out this kind of resource together.

Club(s):   (DMA)

Congrats. I would pick up a fire extinguisher just to be safe. If you have someone else with you on the road trip, they can look back and check for any smoke.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 63SWC View Post
    Hello,
    Great to hear of an imminent new owner - congrats in advance.

Not so much a note about equipment but rather a suggestion about some pre-trip checks that you or the dealer should undertake. "No mechanical issues..." is a good start.
    This list is partial and it's focused on you and the car having a good trip together. There's stuff you can fix later and there's stuff you need to verify before going cross-country.
    1. Pressure-test the cooling system. 15PSI at the filler cap with a regular test kit. You need to know it's tight.
    2. Inspect brakes. Fluid level OK? Strong, straight stops from speed? You want no surprises in a road emergency.
    3. Lighting and controls. Exterior lights all need to work incl high beams and all 4 brake lights plus 2 taillights. In fog or rain on your travels you'll want to see and be seen.
    4. Wipers - learn how to enable the delay function, it's a bit weird, also check blades.
    5. Hot start capability - a mechanic who doesn't take the car on a 15+ minute drive, then turn the car off and try starting it about 5 minutes later will not discover this problem. Check it out so you know what to expect.

Have a great trip.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Great to hear of an imminent new owner - congrats in advance.

Not so much a note about equipment but rather a suggestion about some pre-trip checks that you or the dealer should undertake. "No mechanical issues..." is a good start.
    This list is partial and it's focused on you and the car having a good trip together. There's stuff you can fix later and there's stuff you need to verify before going cross-country.
    1. Pressure-test the cooling system. 15PSI at the filler cap with a regular test kit. You need to know it's tight.
    2. Inspect brakes. Fluid level OK? Strong, straight stops from speed? You want no surprises in a road emergency.
    3. Lighting and controls. Exterior lights all need to work incl high beams and all 4 brake lights plus 2 taillights. In fog or rain on your travels you'll want to see and be seen.
    4. Wipers - learn how to enable the delay function, it's a bit weird, also check blades.
    5. Hot start capability - a mechanic who doesn't take the car on a 15+ minute drive, then turn the car off and try starting it about 5 minutes later will not discover this problem. Check it out so you know what to expect.

Have a great trip.
    Start the car and let the engine idle in place (not driving around) for at least 20-30 minutes. Make sure the cooling fans come on and off by themselves with the temp gauge not going over 220. You don't want to find dead cooling fans stuck in Las Vegas traffic.

After this test is a great time to do the above hot start test.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Again I want to thank everyone who is replying in this thread. Lots of great suggestions to increase the likelihood of a smooth trip.
    I will try to keep another thread going of the trip with photos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast