FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Welcome to Hellvalley: The Salton Sea, a real life 1985A?

My VIN:    05457

Welcome to Hellvalley: The Salton Sea, a real life 1985A?

A couple weeks ago I was in the LA area and went to check out the Salton Sea, the largest lake in California and nearly unknown. If you don't know the history, check out the Wikipedia article or watch the documentary on Netflix. Short story: A man made lake that started out great then became polluted, wildlife died, and people left.

Anyway, it reminded me a lot of 1985A from BTTF2, and then I came to this "Welcome to Bombay Beach" sign that had "Hell" scratched into it. All of a sudden it felt like I wasn't the only one who saw the connection:

Hell_Valley.jpg

Other interesting pics....

20141026_150721.jpg
    Dead fish line all beaches as far as I could tell. The smell was horrible.

20141026_150935.jpg
    A sign at the state park calls it a wildlife viewing area, but the only wildlife I saw was dead.

20141026_151251.jpg20141026_153620.jpg

20141026_153807.jpg
    Some houses washed out during a flood years ago.

20141026_155312.jpg20141026_155411.jpg
    Houses still standing are either abandoned (left) or next door to those that were (right).

20141026_155642.jpg
    Here is the sign for one of the ski resort/hotels that was likely active in the 50s & 60s.

Very sad place, and I wish the best for those living there, but thought I'd post here because you might see the same 1985A connection I did.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Eeek! Next thing i would expect is zombies chasing you! Nice shots
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I recently watched the show about abandoned places and this is probably the one you are referring to. Pretty sad. It has been such a nice place.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Yes, it was a very surreal feeling visiting there. It was just so sad, it just looked so hopeless.

While we were there, a photo shoot was going on. It was kind of crazy to see nice cars, trucks and dolled up models walking around in the wreckage.

Attached Images
    David Proehl

My VIN:    6585

Next time if you're feeling brave enough, try making your way over to Slab City...
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Next time if you're feeling brave enough, try making your way over to Slab City...
    Never heard of that before, but just skimmed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vVCSUafFVI

Looks pretty intense. I think I'll pass for now, but thanks for the recommendation.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Never heard of that before, but just skimmed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vVCSUafFVI

Looks pretty intense. I think I'll pass for now, but thanks for the recommendation.
    No problem. Whenever you're down that way in Riverside County, it's always great to stop by for some fresh dates too.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    03037

Interesting... I got this mailer today, must be a sign... to buy land in the Salton Sea area (in Español)... as well the DeLorean Holiday Mailer for 2014... Buy land in Salton Sea? ummmm, HELLLL NO! $6980?! It's junk-land. Question; Does DeLorean TX ever do any Black Friday early birds specials?!
    Attached Images
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

That is interesting! We did see a lot of land offered for sale there. You can get a lot of lakeside property for less than the cost of a late 90's Ford Taurus.

For the person who has always wanted a lake home!
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    That is interesting! We did see a lot of land offered for sale there. You can get a lot of lakeside property for less than the cost of a late 90's Ford Taurus.

For the person who has always wanted a lake home!

Part of me wonders if that would be worth buying up and sitting on it for some...future...I can't hardly imagine. I wonder if it's possible to refill that lake? I thought it was created when a dam burst and then that river was diverted and no longer supplied the lake. There are a few awesome documentaries about it out there, I watched a few, including one that documented the meth-head transient population in...slab city I think? I forget which location but it was very close.

I looked all this up, because the lake and various towns are recreated in stunning realism in GTAV. I was shocked to discover that hell-hole was real.

If you haven't played GTAV and have a PS3/4 Xbox360/one...pick up a copy and check out Sandy Shores, lol. Or hit up a few youtube videos of GTAV gameplay in that area. This will probably show some towards the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Se13L3OF94

Interesting similarity to HEll Valley, though. I don't quite see/feel it but maybe next time I watch BTTF2