FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Incredibly Strong One-Piece Transmission Input Shaft!!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Very impressive work Nick.

Even though I am fortunate to own an auto and am a member of the "more than 130HP in a sports car is crazy talk" club, ( ) I am constantly amazed by the stuff you do
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I installed the shaft into a transmission to ensure that everything lined up, meshed well, and that all of the splines worked well. The clutch is a stock clutch to prove that the splines are correct. The idler pulley bearing in the photo also has the same dimensions as a DeLorean pilot bearing.

Thus far everything still looks great. Also made a quick video showing the shaft in the box with the differential.

Unfortunately because of my schedule right now, it's unlikely I'll get a chance to install the new shaft into my car until after the new year so no testing until then.

Shaft 11.jpgShaft 6.jpgShaft 7.jpgShaft 8.jpgShaft 9.jpgShaft 10.jpg

Last edited by Nicholas R; 12-02-2014 at 09:03 PM.

My VIN:    6883, 6146-Acura Powered, Formerly 10310 and 628

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Nick, that is truly amazing! You were just talking about your idea of building a one pice shaft at DCS in June. Very nice work.. As usual.
    Tom

My VIN:    1472

This is really impressive! You can add me to your customer list. Thanks for taking time to share your work with us.

My VIN:    6125

Great job Nick, your work here is really impressive. I wish I could say I was interested in buying one but my car is bone stock and I doubt I'll be in need anytime soon. Hopefully you find enough interest to at least do a small run and make a few bucks for all your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrich View Post
    Nick, that is truly amazing! You were just talking about your idea of building a one pice shaft at DCS in June. Very nice work.. As usual.
    Tom
    Thanks Tom! That means a lot!! After I got home from DCS I really started digging in on refining the design. I bought a couple gear books and with every chapter I would read, the drawing would change, haha.

Hello sir,

Did you ever finish this single.piece shaft?

Frank

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Buntedii View Post
    Hello sir,

Did you ever finish this single.piece shaft?

Frank
    I don't want to speak for Nick but his favorite machine shop is closing so he may not take his one-piece input shaft into production:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...l=1#post188966

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I don't want to speak for Nick but his favorite machine shop is closing so he may not take his one-piece input shaft into production:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...l=1#post188966
    Henrik is correct. At the moment, I do not have a timeline on when the shafts would be complete, or if the will be complete, as I no longer have a shop to work with.

I should be back in the country in early March and am hoping to get the shafts that were in process; they are about 95% complete. As of now, all of the gears have only been hobbed, meaning the gears are rough, and potentially slightly distorted by the heat treatment. It is customary to finish the gears by either grinding or shaving, to ensure the correct profile, and ensure that they run quietly. Unfortunately this is one of the most difficult and precise processes, that is made more difficult by the fact that the shaft is so long. The shop did not have the ability to finish grind a shaft of this length in house, and we were going to work to try to find someone that could do the finishing process.

The shaft that is installed in my car, was hobbed, heat treated, shot-peened, and hand finished and polished by me, and you can still hear some slight whine in first and second gear (more so during engine braking than under acceleration). It's similar to how a Muncie M22 "rock crusher" transmission sounds, though not nearly as loud. It doesn't bother me to run with it; in fact I feel like it makes the car even more "mine," but unless I can finish the gears to where they run as quiet as stock, I don't think I'd be comfortable selling one. This all being said, I am sure though that it is no where near as loud as the GTO Racing or Holloway Shaft is in first gear, as the first gear on those is straight cut. If you think of the whine the transmission makes while in reverse, that's what it will sound like to run a straight cut gear set (reverse is straight cut in almost all transmissions).

Thanks for the interest, I'll post updates if/when they occur.

Is this available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast