FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rotor Minimum Thickness

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Rotor Minimum Thickness

I have a spare set of used front rotors from when i initially restored 3205. They are 11.4 mm, so 0.3 mm below minimum thickness AFTER having them turned (I have the professional "bro" deal on brakes up here).

Is the risk associated with running rotors under minimum thickness catastrophic, or do they simply become more prone to heat warpage?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I have a spare set of used front rotors from when i initially restored 3205. They are 11.4 mm, so 0.3 mm below minimum thickness AFTER having them turned (I have the professional "bro" deal on brakes up here).

Is the risk associated with running rotors under minimum thickness catastrophic, or do they simply become more prone to heat warpage?
    There are several things that can happen using rotors below minimum thickness besides the fact that it is strictly illegal and no shop should have ever cut them below min. There is less mass to absorb heat so the brakes will fade faster. They are prone to warpage. With ventilated rotors they could collapse (not on a Delorean since the rotors are not ventilated). They are more prone to heat cracks and blueing from overheating. The latest Service Bulletin ST-08-10/82 allows resurfacing but as you say only down to 11.7 mm. I would not go below min especially since DMC originally did not allow ANY removal of materiel. Best advice is to junk them. They are a disposable wear item like tires and brake pads.
    David Teitelbaum