FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Puddle of brake fluid

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash66 View Post
    Thanks guys. I just got through cleaning up the mess. The clutch cyl is full and dry around all connections. It appears to be mainly between the booster and master connection. I guess it's time for a new one!
    The master is leaking. There is actually a drain/relieve cut into it so that the fluid can run out rather than pool in the booster.

Also take the gas tank cover plate off, scrape all the loose epoxy off on the inside and the outside, and repaint it. Don't ignore it, by now there is no epoxy on the inside and it will rust away as water stays in there.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The master is leaking. There is actually a drain/relieve cut into it so that the fluid can run out rather than pool in the booster.

Also take the gas tank cover plate off, scrape all the loose epoxy off on the inside and the outside, and repaint it. Don't ignore it, by now there is no epoxy on the inside and it will rust away as water stays in there.
    Good Advice Dave. The paint (undercoat on epoxy) is already lifting in the picture and will cause severe rusting in short order. The orange tag on the master indicates that if it is not the original one on the car then it's still a 33 year old NOS replacement but it looks original to me. The recent fluid flush caused what was left of the original seals to bite the bullet and bleed all over. That's an unusually severe leak for a BMC.
    I always recommend changing the master when doing calipers unless the system has had at least a recent brake flush or a recent BMC replacement (Say within 4 or 5 years). Few things are more dangreous than losing your brakes suddenly which could have been the case here!

The other thing which could have caused a similiar leak is a split clutch reseviour hose but that's not the problem here. That's an item that's typically overlooked when changing clutch hydraulic's and all of the original ones are way overdue for replacement. Sorry for straying from the current problem but I figure it's good to put it out there.
    Rob Grady

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Good Advice Dave. The paint (undercoat on epoxy) is already lifting in the picture and will cause severe rusting in short order. The orange tag on the master indicates that if it is not the original one on the car then it's still a 33 year old NOS replacement but it looks original to me. The recent fluid flush caused what was left of the original seals to bite the bullet and bleed all over. That's an unusually severe leak for a BMC.
    I always recommend changing the master when doing calipers unless the system has had at least a recent brake flush or a recent BMC replacement (Say within 4 or 5 years). Few things are more dangreous than losing your brakes suddenly which could have been the case here!

The other thing which could have caused a similiar leak is a split clutch reseviour hose but that's not the problem here. That's an item that's typically overlooked when changing clutch hydraulic's and all of the original ones are way overdue for replacement. Sorry for straying from the current problem but I figure it's good to put it out there.
    Rob Grady
    My theory of why the master cylinder starts leaking after rebuilding the calipers is that the bore of the master cylinder is badly corroded all the way in and normally the seals won't get there during normal operation. That's why the corrosion builds up in that portion of the bore. When you rebuild the calipers and bleed the system NOW you push the seals all the way in (the pedal goes ALL the way down) as you stroke the master cylinder to the limit. Forcing the seals over all of that corrosion tears them up and now they start leaking. Bottom line, if the brake system is that bad that you had to rebuild the calipers you can bet the master cylinder is also in need of being rebuilt/replaced too. This all starts because the brake fluid has not been flushed often enough and corrodes the insides of the brake hydraulics. That corrosion tears the seals up when they pass over it. The take-away lesson here is to flush and bleed the brakes (and the clutch on the 5-speeds) EVERY TWO YEARS! A whole lot cheaper than replacing calipers and master cylinders and the collateral damage to the carpet and frame coating. Never mind the brakes are a primary safety system and MUST be reliable. One of the fastest ways to get your Adrenaline pumping is to push on that brake pedal, have it go to the floor, and not feel the car slowing down!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    My theory of why the master cylinder starts leaking after rebuilding the calipers is that the bore of the master cylinder is badly corroded all the way in and normally the seals won't get there during normal operation. That's why the corrosion builds up in that portion of the bore. When you rebuild the calipers and bleed the system NOW you push the seals all the way in (the pedal goes ALL the way down) as you stroke the master cylinder to the limit. Forcing the seals over all of that corrosion tears them up and now they start leaking. Bottom line, if the brake system is that bad that you had to rebuild the calipers you can bet the master cylinder is also in need of being rebuilt/replaced too. This all starts because the brake fluid has not been flushed often enough and corrodes the insides of the brake hydraulics. That corrosion tears the seals up when they pass over it. The take-away lesson here is to flush and bleed the brakes (and the clutch on the 5-speeds) EVERY TWO YEARS! A whole lot cheaper than replacing calipers and master cylinders and the collateral damage to the carpet and frame coating. Never mind the brakes are a primary safety system and MUST be reliable. One of the fastest ways to get your Adrenaline pumping is to push on that brake pedal, have it go to the floor, and not feel the car slowing down!
    I totally agree with your theory and maintenance schedule but very few people do 2 year flush routines. You are preaching to the choir but even the choir gets lazy sometimes;)

My VIN:    16811

I really appreciate all of the advise guys! Luckily I live in the desert where humidity is like 5% so I'm not concerned with immediate rust. I had the tank out several years ago and reconditioned that part of the frame and tank plate so there wasn't much epoxy in that area anymore. This is also an 83 (16811) that was on consignment at Rob Grady's back in 97 according to some old docs I have. My point is that the frame is slobbed over with undercoating that's going to make it a dirty job. I'll pull the cover, clean and POR-15 everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash66 View Post
    I really appreciate all of the advise guys! Luckily I live in the desert where humidity is like 5% so I'm not concerned with immediate rust. I had the tank out several years ago and reconditioned that part of the frame and tank plate so there wasn't much epoxy in that area anymore. This is also an 83 (16811) that was on consignment at Rob Grady's back in 97 according to some old docs I have. My point is that the frame is slobbed over with undercoating that's going to make it a dirty job. I'll pull the cover, clean and POR-15 everything.
    Undercoating does make the whole job messier. Scrape off what you can and Eastwood.com has a good spray to remove undercoating. Again very messy. As for the 2 year flush schedule, it is better than rebuilding the brakes and if you think that is overkill, in the Lotus world it is EVERY year. For Lotus's it is also about overheating the brake fluid and if it gets too old it gets too high a moisture content and you can boil the brake fluid. Once the fluid boils you lose all pedal. At the very least if the fluid starts to look dark and thick in the reservoir you are past due. As an owner of a Delorean there are things that go bad over time no matter if the car is used or not. Among them are:
    Brake (clutch) fluid
    Anti-Freeze
    Tires
    Battery
    Struts
    Wiper blades
    All owners should track these items and after a certain time or mileage replace them.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16811

Puddle of brake fluid

Well, I dropped the tank plate today. As soon as I jacked up the front of the car, you wouldn't believe the amount of brake fluid that started to run out of the back of the plate on an incline. For a second there I thought I had a fuel leak due to the location. Let me say one thing here guys, this whole ordeal sucked! Brake fluid was all over the frame as well. As precious as we all hold our frame integrity standards, if you have the original Girling MS like I do REPLACE IT NOW! Don't be cheap and put this off. It needs to go period before you end up having a day from hell like I did. This was 10 times worse than old stinky gear oil cleanup! Two things in the world that are pure evil to me is pink home insulation and GD brake fluid!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416809436.546524.jpg
    Last edited by Flash66; 11-24-2014 at 01:17 AM.

My VIN:    5439

Club(s):   (DOI)

I think I ran into the same problem. With spring arriving I uncovered the D from hibernation and found a rather large oil spill in the same spot. I'll attach a few pictures, any suggestions?

IMG_3233.jpg IMG_3232.jpg IMG_3234.jpg IMG_3235.jpg

Check the fluid levels in the brake master reservoir and the clutch reservoir. If they are low (or empty) you can assume where the puddle came from. If you have been reading all of the posts and the other similar threads you know what you have to do.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5439

Club(s):   (DOI)

Just pulled the tank plate off, definitely have to clean this guy up!

IMG_3236.jpg IMG_3237.jpg IMG_3238.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast