FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Narrow Grey Side Stripes !

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Narrow Grey Side Stripes !

I'm going to throw caution into the wind at some point and go "double stripe."

Yeah. That's right. Double F*&@ Stripe!!

I installed a NOS wide black stripe (WBS) from Kyle a few years ago and love it. Always wanted the WBS.

I also dig the narrow grey side stripes (NGSS) though and I had been tossing around the idea of adding the even more elusive second stripe. I have never seen a NGSS in person, but I've seen lots of pictures. At any rate, Rob Grady has a bunch of NOS NGSS kits available for under $100, so I picked one up.

Here are a couple pictures of the Double Stripe:

IMG_3623.jpgIMG_3624.jpg

Now these bad boys BOTH look black - I'm not sure that is actually an original NGSS, perhaps a black reproduction? Anyway, I'm in the minority of side stripe lovers (and even greater minority of double stripe lovers) so I'm going to give this a shot.

Any folks sporting the NGSS or Double F*$& Stripe combo out there mind snapping some pictures and uploading them?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Now these bad boys BOTH look black - I'm not sure that is actually an original NGSS, perhaps a black reproduction? Anyway, I'm in the minority of side stripe lovers (and even greater minority of double stripe lovers) so I'm going to give this a shot.
    I have the original narrow gray stripes and most people that see them like them. Mine are defiantly gray (or faded) and that is why I never painted the side louvers since the gray complements that gray.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

How about TRIPLE stripes, Dave?

Whaaaaaaaaat?

Seriously, we have an Ontario owner with triple stripes. The wide stripe on the lower level, the thin grey one mid way... AND, he has a third stripe I had never seen nor heard about before that goes on the top level, across the top edge of the rear quarters, along the door and around the windows.

I like the side stripes, especially the lower wide ones. His car really looks nice and so do the side stripes. I don't know if he is on the forum here to comment further, but I've included a couple pics. The doors open pic you can see the two "regular" stripes and if you look closely you can see the driver's side on the door that is open. The second pic you can see better the rear quarter stripe location. I don't have a proper pic from the side with the doors closed but I'll see what I can come up with.

IMG_1112.jpgIMG_0874.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Dave,

I have a couple sets of the NOS grey stripes not installed. They are still available NOS from DMCH or dealer buyout inventories that were acquired by a few other vendors. The grey stripe kit was originally intended to compliment Grey interior cars. The same is true for the Black stripe complimenting the early Black interior cars. The NOS grey stripe is a two tone grey Dark silver metallic ( similar to the facia color color ) and a lighter silver pin stripe. No one that I know of has reproduced this stripe because it's readily available NOS unlike the the WBS. This is not to say someone won't replicate the stripe in different colors to accent there personalized interior color(s). Because the stripe is metallic it also can look darker or lighter depending on the how the light hits it. In your photo the angle you took the picture really does make it appear almost black. I've also seen the stripe in actual daylight conditions where it was very subtle looking with just a light accent appearance.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 12-07-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    How about TRIPLE stripes, Dave?

Whaaaaaaaaat?
    Mind. Blown.

Thanks for the pictures. I do like that NGSS!

EDIT - Dennis, just out of curiosity, what do you price yours at (if and) when you sell them? You can PM me if you prefer. Also, I can't seem to find the NGSS kits on the DMCH website? Not that it matters, I've bought one from Grady and he's a swell guy.
    Last edited by sdg3205; 12-07-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The grey stripe kit was originally intended to compliment Grey interior cars.
    Says who? It was originally advertised at the time when the only interior color was black and the cars still had dark gray wheels.

No one that I know of has reproduced this stripe because it's readily available NOS unlike the the WBS.
    Hervey did at one time. I don't see them anymore.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

/\ LOL @ luggage rack, I've never seen one of those!

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Says who? It was originally advertised at the time when the only interior color was black and the cars still had dark gray wheels.

Hervey did at one time. I don't see them anymore.
    Says Stephen Wynn to me several years ago. Truth or opinion (I don't know)
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Does the ski adapter exist? I've heard of factory luggage racks, but i've never seen the ski adapter.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Does the ski adapter exist? I've heard of factory luggage racks, but i've never seen the ski adapter.
    yes.. they exist... there was one on eBay the last months...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-DeLorea...-/291271583204

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast