FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Flux Capacitors...

My VIN:    2848

Let's talk about Flux Capacitors...

There are a number of options for Flux Capacitors and I was hoping we could have a civil discussion about them. Hoping to get input from folks who own flux capacitors and where they got them from and what they like and don't like about them.

I purchased the "Delorean sized" flux capacitor from Bruce C. about 5 years ago. It's a smaller version that fits in the Delorean without blocking the rear window. It's been a good unit. My only complaint is that I wish it came with some kind of mounting bracket designed for the Delorean. I basically zip tie it to the car which works ok but is not ideal. I'm not sure if Bruce even sells these anymore.

I am in the market for a full size flux and was hoping to get feedback about the different ones for sale. Has anyone purchased one from this seller on ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flux-Capacit...p2047675.l2557

They look nice but I don't like the fact that you cant just have it "flux" it has to do all 20 patterns and you have no control over what pattern it does.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    06369

Don't have one, but am subscribing to see what everyone has to say. One thought though....could you just use industrial strength Velcro? Completely reversible and hidden too.

My VIN:    2848

Quote Originally Posted by Jedidentist View Post
    Don't have one, but am subscribing to see what everyone has to say. One thought though....could you just use industrial strength Velcro? Completely reversible and hidden too.
    I started with velcro but in the summer time the heat being in the car made the adhesive melt into a gooey mess.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

If it weren't for this:

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    I am in the market for a full size flux
    I'd say go with this. Been rockin' it since it came out, but I am looking to do a little creative relocating into the headliners. Even have a couple appropriately-sized circuitboards, so I may wind up with three when all is said and done.

As far as full-size flux capacitors go, how screen-accurate are you looking to get? That's really the biggest question of all. If all you're looking for is the instant recognition of it as being a flux capacitor, I'd say try building one yourself. I know it's a job, but you can simplify the circuit using an electronic decade counter, or alternatively an Arduino (or a combination of both!)

But holy crap, I just googled around, and the cheapest one I could find is $400!!! I bought the parts for mine for less than half of that. No one's capitalized on this yet???

My VIN:    07000

If you're good at all with a little soldering, some resin casting (or finding resin cast TORR relays), painting, and assembly, you could make your own using an arduino to do the sequence (here: http://www.myfluxcapacitor.com/the-e...ing-the-lights or here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/bttf-flux-c...rduino-160330/) google Arduino flux capacitor. I'd then hook up an accelerometer so as you hit, say, 80 mph it goes faster and when you hit 88 it does the full flux effect.

Lots of good resources and it'll cost you a lot less than $500 simoleons.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    If you're good at all with a little soldering, some resin casting (or finding resin cast TORR relays), painting, and assembly, you could make your own using an arduino to do the sequence (here: http://www.myfluxcapacitor.com/the-e...ing-the-lights or here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/bttf-flux-c...rduino-160330/) google Arduino flux capacitor. I'd then hook up an accelerometer so as you hit, say, 80 mph it goes faster and when you hit 88 it does the full flux effect.

Lots of good resources and it'll cost you a lot less than $500 simoleons.
    It depends on how much you value your time. I didn't do the math on the parts list, but it looks like it's roughly about $200-250 worth of parts. I'm no stranger to molding, casting, cutting, polishing, bonding, or electrical work...my two other hobbies were replica props (one of the original founding members of the RPF well over 15 years ago) and currently collecting and restoring arcade games. Even with my experience with all of this, I'm going to say there's at least 5-10 hours of work...assuming you don't screw it up your first go around. It's certainly a fun project to undertake, but you won't be saving any money by doing it yourself. It's very similar to the games I restore. Most of them cost twice the money in parts and 50+ hours to complete, but I do them for my own collection and enjoy the process...I would never make any money off the endeavor.

I didn't do the math on the parts list
    Clearly, as you're way, way off on part estimates.

Old Cash box: $30
    Clear Cover: $3
    Two PVC pipe elbows: $2
    Arduino: $10
    LED's: $4
    Most everything else can be found around the house (wire, cardboard/wood backing, etc.).

Total: $49 in parts. Where did $250 come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Clearly, as you're way, way off on part estimates.

Old Cash box: $30
    Clear Cover: $3
    Two PVC pipe elbows: $2
    Arduino: $10
    LED's: $4
    Most everything else can be found around the house (wire, cardboard/wood backing, etc.).

Total: $49 in parts. Where did $250 come from?
    It depends on if you're trying to build an accurate flux capacitor or a close enough version. Yes, a close enough version can be made with parts just laying around...if you've got that sort of stuff just laying around. Actually, I'm impressed with my $250 quote, as I just eyeballed it. If you go to the myfluxcapacitor.com site, you'll see that the guy made an itemized parts list (albeit he admits it's incomplete). I added up every line item this time...$245.50. I'm a stickler for accuracy, so "close enough" doesn't cut it in my book. Even though 99% of the people wouldn't know the difference, I would, and that matters most to me. So yes, you could build something close for $50, but if you're going to use the above mentioned site, it's going to run you $250+.

My VIN:    07000

my two other hobbies were replica props (one of the original founding members of the RPF well over 15 years ago)
    Cool! I love the RPF..

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I have a Diamond Select one that I bought used from a seller on eBay. Is it 100% screen accurate? Absolutely not but the average person doesn't know the difference so who are you trying to impress?
    That being said, while the most inaccurate part is the case, the innards are decent... Eventually I'll by the appropriate box and scavenge the arts and control from the Diamond box and that'll be just fine.
    If I had all the money in the world, I'd love a screen accurate one with sound effects but at this point the money is better spent on car parts.

I built a little wood stand for mine so that it can sit on the parcel shelf and I bungee in the top.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast