FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Owning a Ferrari for one year a disappointment.

My VIN:    1776

I can understand his situation completely and would probably never consider a newer Ferrari because of the depreciation concerns that he points out. I imagine that the situation is different for anything older than, say, a 328. At that point the cars are all so old that rigorous documentation of services is rarely to be found (and the cars themselves are simple enough that mortals can work on them).

While Ferraris and DeLoreans are both attention-grabbers, the type of attention one gets may be different. I think some people may be predisposed to dislike the owner of a modern Ferrari because of the image of conspicuous wealth that it projects (justified or not). In my experience that isn't true of the DeLorean because I think everyone is aware that they're not particularly expensive to buy. I've found the reaction of the general public to the D to be overwhelmingly positive, like one would get with any other quirky car such as a VW bus or a Citroen 2CV.

As far as attracting women goes, I think guys who buy a car (or any material object, for that matter) for that reason is misguided. It just doesn't work and probably never has, at least not in the way that they hope. That being said, the D is not so much a chick-magnet as a people-magnet and approximately half of people are women.

Now I DO use my D as a real car. I live in the country and often use it, especially on weekends, for everyday errands. I don't often drive it into the city for work because the heavy steering, marginal visibility, and great width make it a little tedious. It's not unusual for me to put on 150+ miles during a nice weekend. I suspect that I would probably use an exotic, if I had one, in much the same way.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by dustybarn View Post
    I can understand his situation completely and would probably never consider a newer Ferrari because of the depreciation concerns that he points out. I imagine that the situation is different for anything older than, say, a 328. At that point the cars are all so old that rigorous documentation of services is rarely to be found (and the cars themselves are simple enough that mortals can work on them).

While Ferraris and DeLoreans are both attention-grabbers, the type of attention one gets may be different. I think some people may be predisposed to dislike the owner of a modern Ferrari because of the image of conspicuous wealth that it projects (justified or not). In my experience that isn't true of the DeLorean because I think everyone is aware that they're not particularly expensive to buy. I've found the reaction of the general public to the D to be overwhelmingly positive, like one would get with any other quirky car such as a VW bus or a Citroen 2CV.

As far as attracting women goes, I think guys who buy a car (or any material object, for that matter) for that reason is misguided. It just doesn't work and probably never has, at least not in the way that they hope. That being said, the D is not so much a chick-magnet as a people-magnet and approximately half of people are women.

Now I DO use my D as a real car. I live in the country and often use it, especially on weekends, for everyday errands. I don't often drive it into the city for work because the heavy steering, marginal visibility, and great width make it a little tedious. It's not unusual for me to put on 150+ miles during a nice weekend. I suspect that I would probably use an exotic, if I had one, in much the same way.
    The depreciation of late model exotics is not just subject to Ferrari's. You'll find the same general rule applies to many high-end manufacturers. The 360 is probably approaching it's low mark. With under 20k 360s produced, they will gradually appreciate, though maybe not to their original sale price anytime soon (with inflation considered). If you look at the 328s and 308s, these cars combined for just under 20k produced. They have only recently started to gain momentum. Heck, I've seen some 328s with rare options go for $100k.

Occasionally you'll find a "newer" vehicle that appreciates much quicker than others. The 2005-2006 Ford GT is a good example. They built a touch over 4k of them. They sold new around $140k. Those cars are bringing well over $250k now. Now that would have been a good investment. The key is low production numbers combined with desirability.

The DeLorean is unique because outside of our owner/enthusiast community, people don't know much about them even if they claim they do. The DeLorean has a cool factor to it but with a nerdy twist. I've said it before, it's like going to a Rush concert. While enjoying the show you look around and notice you're at a sausage-fest.

I receive generally positive reactions when driving both vehicles. People all want to stop and talk to me about it regardless of which car I'm driving.

In my opinion, the DeLorean is an exotic car. It was made overseas with a high price tag. It is a GT car. While not a super-performer, it still fits the majority of the de facto exotic guidelines.
    Jeff

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    The depreciation of late model exotics is not just subject to Ferrari's. You'll find the same general rule applies to many high-end manufacturers. The 360 is probably approaching it's low mark. With under 20k 360s produced, they will gradually appreciate, though maybe not to their original sale price anytime soon (with inflation considered). If you look at the 328s and 308s, these cars combined for just under 20k produced. They have only recently started to gain momentum. Heck, I've seen some 328s with rare options go for $100k.

Occasionally you'll find a "newer" vehicle that appreciates much quicker than others. The 2005-2006 Ford GT is a good example. They built a touch over 4k of them. They sold new around $140k. Those cars are bringing well over $250k now. Now that would have been a good investment. The key is low production numbers combined with desirability.

The DeLorean is unique because outside of our owner/enthusiast community, people don't know much about them even if they claim they do. The DeLorean has a cool factor to it but with a nerdy twist. I've said it before, it's like going to a Rush concert. While enjoying the show you look around and notice you're at a sausage-fest.

I receive generally positive reactions when driving both vehicles. People all want to stop and talk to me about it regardless of which car I'm driving.

In my opinion, the DeLorean is an exotic car. It was made overseas with a high price tag. It is a GT car. While not a super-performer, it still fits the majority of the de facto exotic guidelines.

+1

I was actually looking at 308s last night - holy shit, the prices have REALLY gone up!

Do you have pictures of your 308 you could share? One of my favorite F-cars.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    +1

I was actually looking at 308s last night - holy shit, the prices have REALLY gone up!

Do you have pictures of your 308 you could share? One of my favorite F-cars.
    Sure you bet. You can see my DeLorean behind it in the first one.

photo 3.jpgphoto 1.jpgIMG_0651.jpg
    Last edited by OverlandMan; 12-11-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    Jeff

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by JRNY13 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. "It's a point A to point A car" sums it up perfectly.
    +1

I thought "point A to point A" said it perfectly.

Or the quote about never meeting your heroes...

Minus the purchase price and horsepower, most everything else in the article applies to DeLorean ownership (IMHO).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4519

Almost one year of DeLorean ownership, here's what I think is disappointing:

-Separation anxiety when it's in storage (does the honeymoon ever end?)
    -Winter and road salt in NYS (which leads to the point above.)
    -Not finding another D to buy (I'm ready to buy a 5-speed, but not finding the one I want at the price I want.)

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

The first year is the hardest. Or the easiest, depending on the condition of the vehicle.

This is my seventh year. Allow me to post some unsolicited perspective narrative.

I guess I'm the only one who's had such a crap-filled year that for portions of 2014 I didn't even feel like bothering with the DeLorean. It sat in the garage, and weeks elapsed when I didn't even think about it. I had too much else to do. The DeLorean was there, under a cover, waiting for me to get back to it when I had the time and energy. In the back of my mind, I knew I would, but not knowing when, I stopped hitting myself over the head for being a "bad owner." Some people will tell you that if you don't have "what it takes" to be an owner, you should give it up. But you can't predict the future. Real life takes priority: family, health, work, school... whatever it is will pop up and suddenly you have more to think about than "Hooray, another DeLorean weekend." I have no intention of getting rid of the thing, but it's not the priority it was when I was a new owner, single, and had just the Monday-to-Friday job on my schedule. Seven years in, it's not "just a car," but it's definitely "a car." It's fun to drive, but when I'm not driving it, there's no emotional void there, no depression, no anxiety. There's more to life than what we own. That's what I've learned in my 30s. The car helped me learn it.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I guess I'm the only one...
    You aren't, Farrar.

What you wrote is more honest than most, and welcomed in a world where it's more common to keep on pretending life is perfect.

We all share parts of your story, and from year to year, many of those parts get swapped out for other ones. As my time in "my 30s" came to an end recently, I like that "what I learned about life" part the most.

Happy holidays and all the best in the new year.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    The first year is the hardest. Or the easiest, depending on the condition of the vehicle.

This is my seventh year. Allow me to post some unsolicited perspective narrative.

I guess I'm the only one who's had such a crap-filled year that for portions of 2014 I didn't even feel like bothering with the DeLorean. It sat in the garage, and weeks elapsed when I didn't even think about it. I had too much else to do. The DeLorean was there, under a cover, waiting for me to get back to it when I had the time and energy. In the back of my mind, I knew I would, but not knowing when, I stopped hitting myself over the head for being a "bad owner." Some people will tell you that if you don't have "what it takes" to be an owner, you should give it up. But you can't predict the future. Real life takes priority: family, health, work, school... whatever it is will pop up and suddenly you have more to think about than "Hooray, another DeLorean weekend." I have no intention of getting rid of the thing, but it's not the priority it was when I was a new owner, single, and had just the Monday-to-Friday job on my schedule. Seven years in, it's not "just a car," but it's definitely "a car." It's fun to drive, but when I'm not driving it, there's no emotional void there, no depression, no anxiety. There's more to life than what we own. That's what I've learned in my 30s. The car helped me learn it.

Great post, but sorry to hear it's been a shitty year for you...we all have those and hopefully 2015 will be better. You're right: real life takes priority and perspectives do change. My situation was somewhat the opposite of yours; I bought mine after 7 years of family life (in a house where I'm the only male) and this car was definitely the right kind of reprieve from all the pink & princess nonsense. I think you sound like a very good owner and fwiw, I don't subscribe to any of that "what it takes" to be an owner stuff. In my mind, if you own a DeLorean you only need to appreciate it in a way that works for you. It sounds to me like you're doing just fine on that level; you're participating here, sharing your honest perspective & insight, and clearly haven't "forgotten" your car.

Don't stress bro, the daily grind stuff gets better....that's what I learned in my 40's and like you, the car helped me with that.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Sure you bet. You can see my DeLorean behind it in the first one
    I would love to drive either of those cars. So much 80's awesome. Did I mention I do car videos? :P

But, on topic... I can't feel sorry for the guy either. He is complaining about things you know going in. Exotics attract attention, have insane repair bills and you can't leave them parked anywhere without worrying about them.

I would never own a Ferrari. I'd take the keys of one and take it for a spin sure, but own? I can't do it. The DeLorean is the car I want. While some of the problems still hold true, it is not too insanely expensive to acquire, maintain or fill up. (still... the low LOW percentage on the obtain 'o meter is saddening, but I scored a great job recently... so it should start to go up soon!). If I had supercar money that required me to buy one or die it would be a Porsche. Under the radar and plenty-full. Nothing special. But they sure drive nice! (got to drive a 2007 911 Carrera S, very nice car!).
    Obtain 'O Meter▪▼▲≡▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪FEB 7.4% -5.3% since JAN '15
    %0▪▪▪10▪▪▪20▪▪30▪▪▪40▪▪50▪▪▪60▪▪70▪▪80▪▪90▪▪100
    ▪▪▪|▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪ |

===My YouTube Channel: TheDutchTexan
    [Vlogging, DashCam Compilations & CarShows!]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast