Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean poster interest?

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

DeLorean poster interest?

Hi all,

As mentioned in my other thread...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...orean-question

I'd like to get a poster of this image of JZD with the prototype DeLorean from March 1979. I like the image because I actually think the prototype is cooler looking than the production car, and this was taken at a time when the future looked bright for DMC, so for me it kind of captures the "Live the Dream" slogan...

JZD.jpg

This is a licensed photo, so getting permission to print a run of posters will not be cheap. I'm trying to see if I can get a group deal that would make it feasible, but that of course partly depends on whether there are enough other people interested. I'll publish the exact costs involved when available -I'm not looking to do this to make money, just to get a copy of the poster for myself!

So, if you think you'd also like a copy of this poster, and would be willing to spend around $60 to $70 (including printing costs) to get a copy, please let me know in this thread.

Thanks,
    John

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

For the limited run, if you could get it to my door for $75, I'd be in.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Do we know where and when the photo was taken? It would be nice to caption it.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Do we know where and when the photo was taken? It would be nice to caption it.

March 1, 1979 in the desert outside Palm Springs CA

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by dmcjohn View Post
    I like the image because I actually think the prototype is cooler looking than the production car, and this was taken at a time when the future looked bright for DMC, so for me it kind of captures the "Live the Dream" slogan...
    John,

Agree with you on the proto being cooler looking with a few exceptions, those being:

• The side mirrors
    • Wheels
    • Sliding door glass

I might be interested. How big is "poster-size" in inches? I'd have to take into consideration framing as well.
    Jeff

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

This is a licensed photo, so getting permission to print a run of posters will not be cheap
    Who owns it out of interest? Any DeLorean enthusiast would, I would have thought let you use it for perhaps a small donation, it's not like it's not used/published on the net/books/etc
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

The max size the image is available in is 54 MB - 3555px × 5339px • 11.00in. × 17.00in @ 300 ppi

I think that should be good enough to print a poster 23 x 35 inches (according to a calculator here: http://www.vivyxprinting.com/how-big...al-picture.asp)

Chris - The image is still owned and licensed through Corbis. Otherwise, I think if the original photographer still had copies, he would have been happy to let me make a poster for myself.

The cost involved to do this for a poster license is $1070 from Corbis, with printing costs on top. However, you are then licensed to print up to 500 copies (of course with the cost of printing on top).

I did a quick search for bulk printing posters, and found this place:

http://www.uprinting.com/bulk-poster-printing.html

The cost to do 100 copies of the poster in 24 x 36 size, on 100 lb. gloss paper comes to $701.40.

So, depending on how many people were interested, this might not be as expensive as I thought. For example, if 100 people were interested, it would be around $18 plus postage costs ($10 to cover corbis license cost and 7 to cover printing cost, per unit).

Maybe this is something more suited to a company like DMCH or even the DeLorean Museum to take on as a fundraiser, as I don't relish the thought of shipping 100 posters!

Anyway, I guess the question is, if the price was around $17 to $20, not including shipping, how many would be interested?

If this doesn't work out, I think I'll just make myself a similar poster. I have a lot of high res pics of Proto-1 which I took when Tony showed us the car a few years back - a quick photoshopping of the background and I came up with the attached result, which I can just print at very low cost locally.

test2.jpg

thanks,
    John

By the way, if 200 people were interested, this would push the cost down to less than $9 per poster! Granted, it would be probably hard to round up 200 interested people, although I'm sure they would sell eventually...

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

I will be interested too

My VIN:    5482

If the cost is ~$20, count me in.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast