FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurethane bushings - interested?

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Polyurethane bushings - interested?

Hello everyone,

As you all surely know by now I have sped up my restoration project and 6149 will be on the road pretty soon. I had to drop my stainless frame project (the frame is for sale again) and will be using the original steel frame. Since I don't want to reuse my old bushings I have two choices now:
    1. Get replacements (regular rubber ones) but I've heard that the ones available now are not the best quality and they don't last very long
    2. Get polyurethane replacements that will improve the ride and will last the life of the car
    I can have the new bushings made but I need to pay for molds in which they will be formed. Those are fairly expensive and it wouldn't be cost effective if I was to make a single set. So, I need to ask if anyone is interested in getting a set of poly bushings.
    One size will fit both (four for both sides) rear links and lower front. Each car uses 10 that are the same size. If there is enough interest I might make some molds for the upper front as well but they will be more expensive and installation will be more difficult as there are no sleeves mounted in the control arms. For the rear links you just need to take them off the car, have a shop remove the old bushings (a press is required) and that's it. New polyurethane bushings can be installed by hand without any special tools.

The hardness of the material can be made to order. We can have them made exactly as the OEM rubber, softer or harder. It all depends on what you're looking for - OEM ride quality, softer ride or a more sporty one with better handling.

Polyurethane bushings can be any color we want but they are usually color coded based on their hardness. Black is OEM, green/blue is soft, red/orange is hard (sport), yellow is very hard (race). This is what my manufacturer uses and in our case OEM equals to red/orange.

The price for a single bushing would be about $40 or a full set of 10 for $400.

Please post in this thread is you are interested. If we go ahead with this project I should start shipping them out at the end of January or so... if everything goes to plan (it never does) .

Other bushings can be made as well. The ones that we can't do are engine and transmission mounts.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

I have all the poly bushes already existent in the delorean market, but I would be interested in a set of poly bushes for the steering rack (pn 105843 and 108151)
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    6125

Tom, I'm not sure if you're aware but most of the bushings already exist in polyurethane. The majority of them can be found here: (also sold in the US by DMCMW)

http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/index...ssor2p76mh1nj7

and Toby at DMCNW also has these for the sway bar frame mount and LCA:
    http://delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/...Code=K1006DP-C

I've got poly bushings on the whole front my car (except the steering rack bushings) but went with reproduction OE style rubber bushings for the rear upper and lower suspension links. I've read from a few other people that using poly at the rear has a somewhat harsh ride quality and that the bushings tend to rub on the frame since they are halves with a flange and not a press in type bushing like the stock rubber. I've found that the reproduction rubber bushings from DMCH have held up well so far over the year and a half I've been running them.

Of course if you're looking to source your own poly solution that is still something you may want to look into. I just didn't know if you were aware that there are some options already available.

If you had a company create the rear link (same as front lower control arm) bushings with a durometer similar to stock rubber I might be interested.

One note on the front upper control arm bushings...those were quite a pain in the ass to install and required a custom set of machined steel blocks to prevent distorting the U shaped channel of the control arm when pressing in the new bushings. More info here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?54...ll=1#post78192

My VIN:    10270

Make a poly shifter bushing kit and I'll be your first customer.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Tom, what will be the main difference between your manufacturer and those of Superflex?
    http://www.superflex.co.uk/products.php?cat=111

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Make a poly shifter bushing kit and I'll be your first customer.
    JFYI, I replaced my shifter bushings with teflon ones..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    JFYI, I replaced my shifter bushings with teflon ones..
    Any chance you'd share where you sourced the bushings? I'm more interested in teflon over poly for the shifter bushings. Maybe start a new thread as to not derail Toms?

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    I would be interested in a set of poly bushes for the steering rack (pn 105843 and 108151)
    Actually I custom made mine. Not too hard.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

OK, seems that this project will not fly

I am aware that they are available from other sources but I still wanted to have them made myself. The cost would be lower. As usual the more we make the cheaper they are. The price that I have mentioned above is a starting price and would go down from there based on the number of sets ordered. Then there is a matter of hardness. I've heard some people complain that the poly bushes are too hard and the ride is not comfortable. Since we can choose any hardness we want I was thinking about making something similar to OEM rubber. Actually, each set could be different because I would be making one set at a time. So, custom hardness would be possible.
    Anyway, it was just an idea but since they are available it simply makes no sense. I will try to make a set for my own car though.

Steering rack bushes - the problem with those is that the mold required would be pretty complex - read expensive. It's possible but I don't know what it will cost. I'll try to get some quotes when I get a chance.

Shifter linkage bushes - yes, those can be made and I want to make them. Mine are all worn out and need to go. To be honest I believe that polyurethane would be a lot better suited than teflon which is very slippery but pretty hard. Polyurethane can be made as soft or as hard as you like. I'll take some measurements and will let you know what it will cost.

That's all for now. I'll get back to you with some prices for the steering rack and shift linkage bushes.

Thanks
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    I've heard some people complain that the poly bushes are too hard and the ride is not comfortable.
    Ride comfort is 100% personal opinion and, more often than not, is usually heard more from those that are unhappy than those that are happy.

Eg if 'some' of said it's too hard then there's likely a shittonne that say otherwise.

I'm one of them - couldn't be happier with how phenomenally better handling is with poly bushings.
    Chris

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast