FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Renting out a DeLorean

My VIN:    07000

Renting out a DeLorean

I did a search but basically found nothing. I'm considering renting my DeLorean once I get it for photo shoots, commercials, etc. Does anyone else here do that, and if so, plusses and minuses, what you charge for a day rate, etc.

Thanks!

Greg

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    I did a search but basically found nothing. I'm considering renting my DeLorean once I get it for photo shoots, commercials, etc. Does anyone else here do that, and if so, plusses and minuses, what you charge for a day rate, etc.

Thanks!

Greg
    I do. I adjust the price based on risk and time.

Make sure you have coverage. Some collector programs do not permit commercial use of the vehicle.

When I'm unsure, I ask clients to sign a waiver.

Agree on terms in advance (i.e. is sitting inside allowed?)

Never permit others to drive the car.

Always, 110% supervised.

Agree ahead of time on a "early termination" clause, where if you see an event going south, you can leave for the safety of yourself and your vehicle.

Approach every situation, event or rental as new and unknown and therefore with extreme caution. No two events are the same, nor are the people that show up.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I do. I adjust the price based on risk and time.

Make sure you have coverage. Some collector programs do not permit commercial use of the vehicle.

When I'm unsure, I ask clients to sign a waiver.

Agree on terms in advance (i.e. is sitting inside allowed?)

Never permit others to drive the car.

Always, 110% supervised.

Agree ahead of time on a "early termination" clause, where if you see an event going south, you can leave for the safety of yourself and your vehicle.

Approach every situation, event or rental as new and unknown and therefore with extreme caution. No two events are the same, nor are the people that show up.

There are "brokers" that you can list your car with. If someone needs a car they look up the brokers to have them find what they are looking for. Your insurance typically will not cover commercial uses so whoever rents the car must give you a "Certificate of Insurance". If it is a legitimate production company they will have no problem doing it. In most cases they provide transportation for 2 reasons. One, they expect the car with no damage and two, they control the time it arrives. Fees are based on how long they use the car and what they do. Static vs moving, touching, sitting inside, etc. My typical fee is $500 for an 8 hour day, I accompany the car, I get fed along with the crew. I also get a copy of whatever they do for personal use. They provide insurance and usually transportation. I have been in videos, commercials, weddings, and special events. It is usually a LOT of fun. You can see my car on Good Morning America, look up "Laura Spencer Rides a Delorean" on YouTube. It was filmed in Times Square outside the studio.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1150

Club(s):   (DCF)

David is right that it can be a lot of fun, as well as making a few bucks on the side for the maintenance fund. You could end up with some special memories, and some awesome pics and/or vids to show people. My old quarter-million mile car, VIN1662, was featured on a few local TV news segments, was in some comical PBS fund raising videos shot with cast members of the TV series "Doctor Who", and was even the central prop for a Playboy model shoot. My current, much lower mileage & much better condition car VIN1150 (which is currently available for sale in the Cars For Sale thread here, hint, hint...) has also been in a number of professional & semi-pro video shoots, including the Maclemore "Thrift Shop" parody song "Pot Shop" with over 14 million views on YouTube, where if you know where to look in one scene, you can see me dancing next to the car:

Last edited by whocruiser; 12-15-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: lysdexia strikes agian ;-)

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by whocruiser View Post
    ...and was even the central prop for a Playboy model shoot.

Sorry, but we just can't take your word for it. You're going to have to provide lots of detailed photographic evidence to back up a claim like that.

:P
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

David is right that it can be a lot of fun, as well as making a few bucks on the side for the maintenance fund. You could end up with some special memories, and some awesome pics and/or vids to show people. My old quarter-million mile car, VIN1662, was featured on a few local TV news segments, was in some comical PBS fund raising videos shot with cast members of the TV series "Doctor Who", and was even the central prop for a Playboy model shoot. My current, much lower mileage & much better condition car VIN1150 (which is currently available for sale in the Cars For Sale thread here, hint, hint...) has also been in a number of professional & semi-pro video shoots, including the Maclemore "Thrift Shop" parody song "Pot Shop" with over 14 million views on YouTube, where if you know where to look in one scene, you can see me dancing next to the car:

You're the dude with the beard that doesn't look like you belong in the shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    You're the dude with the beard that doesn't look like you belong in the shot...
    Yup, the guy with no rhythm who's glad that the camera can't quite see down to his two left feet, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Sorry, but we just can't take your word for it. You're going to have to provide lots of detailed photographic evidence to back up a claim like that. :P
    That photo shoot was, if I recall correctly, done in September 2009, and was discussed and posted here at the time. Here's a relatively tame watermarked pic from before the swimsuit came off, for those who inevitably argue that without pics, it didn't happen:

The more revealing shots I don't share on public forums, but if you ask me nicely when you see me in person at a car show or elsewhere, I can probably give you a look

My VIN:    6654

The more revealing shots I don't share on public forums, but if you ask me nicely when you see me in person at a car show or elsewhere, I can probably give you a look
    Have you worn the DeLorean shirt I gave you out of the goodness of my heart? If so I think a good way to thank me would be the "more revealing shots"
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

Thanks for the responses back from everyone. The next question is, how do you get your cars out there so people know they're available for shoots, events, etc? Craigslist, a broker, a website that you hope someone will find??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast