FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blower motor

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Blower motor

I got a new blower motor (VDO PM106) on ebay the other day, and I'm in the middle of swapping it out. As you can see, the little hole where the rubber tube goes is partly blocked off, and won't fit in properly. What is this tube, and is it even necessary?
    On the old one, water ran down it and got inside the motor.

- Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

When i put in a x ref motor I just threw away that elbow and blocked off the hole in the airbox.

I think it is used to cool down the motor? Or scavenge heat off the motor? Not sure exactly and dont really care haha.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Well the motor's in and working, it's a massive improvement over the old one. No longer does it feel like an asthmatic mouse is blowing on my windscreen!
    I left the tube off.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

The hose is for motor cooling. Based on the looks in your pictures the motor is a "second" - I think. The metal parts are not located properly. Looks like they slipped in assembly. It will probably work fine for years. You could just place the hose over the hole and give enough cooling to the motor.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by hmcelraft View Post
    The hose is for motor cooling. Based on the looks in your pictures the motor is a "second" - I think. The metal parts are not located properly. Looks like they slipped in assembly. It will probably work fine for years. You could just place the hose over the hole and give enough cooling to the motor.
    Dead on Harold! I checked my stock of the same mnfr's motors and they're like the originals. It could be warrantied by the supplier if anyone cares.
    Rob Grady

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I keep getting water in my blower motors and they rust out. Where is that water coming in from that it gets into the HVAC box? My plenum drain looked clean but the factory elbow above the fuel pump boot was not there, just a hole in the fiberglass.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    I keep getting water in my blower motors and they rust out. Where is that water coming in from that it gets into the HVAC box? My plenum drain looked clean but the factory elbow above the fuel pump boot was not there, just a hole in the fiberglass.
    The water comes from a rather poorly designed drainage system in the cowling for the hvac box. In heavy rain (or if you direct a waterhose at the air intake screen from the driver side of the car) water can leak over the edge of the water drain into the box. It's hard to get in there and build up the ledge but it is doable if I remember correctly.
    Rob Grady

I had a similar issue and found it was the water from the AC clogging the drain and the rubber foam sealing material from the internal doors that came off blocking the path to the drainage. Some of that material seemed to cause condensation to be diverted toward the blower motor. If you can get a small suction hose in there after removing the blower motor you will probably find the culprit. Rigging something like that is about the only way other than removing the dash, etc.. I managed to do it with mine. One of these years I will probably need to remove the plenum and do it right but, not yet. Somewhere, maybe Hervey's site, I was able to see a complete picture of the internal drain and direct my suction hose appropriately.
    Last edited by hmcelraft; 12-23-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    Oh BTW there was no factory plenum drain above the fuel pump area. Just a hole which is easily blocked with leaves and debris. The designer also saw fit to vent this mess directly onto the fuel pump. If this person attends the Delorean reunion in Belfast next May I'd love to shake his hand over a job well done. Talk about two birds with one stone! I may even buy him a pint or three so we don't have to dwell on his engineering prowess too long.
    Rob

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Oh BTW there was no factory plenum drain above the fuel pump area. Just a hole which is easily blocked with leaves and debris. The designer also saw fit to vent this mess directly onto the fuel pump.
    Yeah - it's fairly obvious that the guy who laid out the drainage system in the fiberglass body had no idea where the fuel pump was going to be, nor thought of any reason why that might be important.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast