FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Stage/Spec I & II Performance Results?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Stage/Spec I & II Performance Results?

I know Steven C. was running some dyno tests, but do we have any real world 0-60 mph test runs of cars with these set ups?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

After changing the formula for our performance packages this is the revised SPEC I upgrade path as simply going spec 1, 2, 3 makes no sense as with the stage units seeing how no one in their right mind makes "na mods" followed by forced induction mods.

SPEC I (exhaust) our exhaust offering that has been available for years.

SPEC I Engine package only available in house as build car upgrade Includes following:

-Full bottom end package
    -dpi custom head package with revised port design and valve size
    -billet camshafts with roller rockers
    -dpi efi with fuel and spark control
    -few extra proprietary internal upgrades
    -optional dry sump upgrade will be available early 2015.

Power curve for our all out N/A package.

Little over 200 hp and 293 ft lbs of torque (only thing I care about)

HP_Torque.jpg

No longer offering camshafts outside of engine packages or anything based on a K jet style upgrade path. Fuel injection, exhaust and base turbo systems will be available for the 2.8 odd fire bottom end.

Regrinds etc are gone at this point. Since I no longer feel that certain upgrades are a valid path of improvement but respect the fact that some owners would like to go this way I will be making obsolete sources open source to the community.
    IE I will tell everyone where to get DMCH camshaft grinds and cylinder head porting completed. Since we are still working with our previous companies on new offerings
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 12-24-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

So the new heads & cams won't be available outside of a DPI in-house build?

That's unfortunate, I can't even begin to afford in-house work, especially not a full engine (re)build.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Same thing we were discussing before mike with you and others

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Same thing we were discussing before mike with you and others
    Ah, okay. Sorry for jumping the gun!
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

I know someone who was hoping to install performance cams next year and hope they don't disappear for good. The cams and exhaust may not have made a super fast car, but they make it very fun to drive for not a lot of money.

With the (I guess now old) DPI cams and exhaust, 125-135 hp at the wheels is about what that would get you. Similar numbers can be expected from a Stage 1 as well as from the DMC-CA cams (I don't know if they're still available) with a performance exhaust.

Interesting to note: my car with DPI cams and exhaust was on a dyno right before a car with DMC-CA cams and mostly stock exhaust. Only the muffler and tips were replaced, but the manifolds, crossover pipe and cat were all still in place. My car made less than 5 hp and ft-lbs more than that car with a surprisingly similar torque and hp curve. We were expecting a much larger difference.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    I know someone who was hoping to install performance cams next year and hope they don't disappear for good. The cams and exhaust may not have made a super fast car, but they make it very fun to drive for not a lot of money.

With the (I guess now old) DPI cams and exhaust, 125-135 hp at the wheels is about what that would get you. Similar numbers can be expected from a Stage 1 as well as from the DMC-CA cams (I don't know if they're still available) with a performance exhaust.

Interesting to note: my car with DPI cams and exhaust was on a dyno right before a car with DMC-CA cams and mostly stock exhaust. Only the muffler and tips were replaced, but the manifolds, crossover pipe and cat were all still in place. My car made less than 5 hp and ft-lbs more than that car with a surprisingly similar torque and hp curve. We were expecting a much larger difference.
    Your car definitely isn't tuned right then Derrin. Timing is probably pulled.

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Your car definitely isn't tuned right then Derrin. Timing is probably pulled.
    There were issues getting a good induction signal, but the HP numbers were in line with the ones you posted of Ellon's car 2 years ago. My initial timing is at 16 degrees, same as the other car. My car was running a bit rich, but not drastically. A third car with ported and polished heads, same cams I have, high compression pistons, timing at 16 (I believe - I know it pings at 17 degrees) and UK exhaust came back with similar peak numbers when using the coil induction pickup. He was the last run of the day and they decided to use the wheels for RPM monitoring for the later runs which brought his peak hp number to 145, so that might have been possible for the rest of us, too. But, we all had the same cool pickup issue working against us and our individual runs were fairly consistent.

No two engines will perform exactly alike. I just thought it was interesting that there was no power drop off due to an exhaust restriction at high rpm on the car with mostly stock exhaust.
    Last edited by dmruschell; 12-30-2014 at 01:15 AM.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

Not a DeLorean Guru

I run 20 degrees with no pinging. Oh wait, mine isn't K-Jet...
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze