FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P.J.GRADY Lift Piston feedback wanted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

P.J.GRADY Lift Piston feedback wanted

We've shipped a decent amount of our new lift piston kits and was hoping to get feedback from owners to see if we got it right. I'd like to know what you think of the opening rate (time to open), charge rate (too strong, too weak, just right), appearance and any observations you'd care to offer.
    While the door piston's are the main concern because ot the variables involved I'm also looking for feedback on the hood & sunshade pistons too.
    Rob Grady

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

I want to buy a set of lift pistons but, your web site wants me to create an account just to pay with PayPal.
    The reason I use PayPal is to pay for an item with out having to do this.
    I.E., my contact information and desired shipping location is already stored with them.
    Sorry, no sale.

George
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 12-24-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    03037

Rob,
    Is it okay if you could set aside a Special strut set for me? Payment for the 9th? I'll definitely provide you feedback. My passenger door sags a few inches when it comes up. Thx, b
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I received my set of door struts today and am very impressed. I've tried a lot of struts over the years, and these are the best I've used. They open up the doors fully and have a nice damper towards the end to slow the door so it doesn't rock the whole car. It really makes the door operation seem to have a good fit and finish with the nice slow-down at the end.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    3937

I read in James' Buyers Guide book recently that the door struts are considered a wear and tear item and they should be replaced every three years.

Is this also the intention with your set, Rob? Is three years for a set of door struts par for the course, or should they/could they last longer?

I've had my car for seven plus years and seeing the suggestion to replace them every three years would be about right from the experience I have had with my own car.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I read in James' Buyers Guide book recently that the door struts are considered a wear and tear item and they should be replaced every three years.

Is this also the intention with your set, Rob? Is three years for a set of door struts par for the course, or should they/could they last longer?

I've had my car for seven plus years and seeing the suggestion to replace them every three years would be about right from the experience I have had with my own car.
    I'll get back to you on that tomorrow (Day off you know). ITMT Merry Christmas to DMCTalkers and our fellow man.

Quote Originally Posted by skill View Post
    Rob,
    Is it okay if you could set aside a Special strut set for me? Payment for the 9th? I'll definitely provide you feedback. My passenger door sags a few inches when it comes up. Thx, b
    Yes I'll hold a set for you for the 9th of January right?
    Rob

My VIN:    3937

Thanks for the reply, Rob. Definitely no intention to hold you to some guarantee. Like you said, I bunch of factors unique to each car like the climate or temperature the car is in or used, how often it's used or driven, and how often there is someone in the passenger seat as well as the driver's, etc.

Even if you replaced the door struts every three years, at $100 for the set of six over those three years, that's not much different than the cost of oil or air filters. Speaking of which, with many of the wear and tear or regular maintenance items we can all decide how to alter the change out frequency. For example, I've changed my air filter every oil change even though it's not likely necessary and I've changed my fuel filter far less than suggested (not ideal, but there it is).

What's that line about expensive toys or hobbies? If you can't afford to put new tires on it when they need it or have to be concerned about what the price of gas is, you bought the wrong hobby.

With the relatively low cost of many of these parts, you could have as many of them as your heart desires if you just once convinced your wife/partner/significant other that you don't need to remodel the living room/paint/buy a new couch. Now there's a place to try and use some common cents.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Rob. Definitely no intention to hold you to some guarantee. Like you said, I bunch of factors unique to each car like the climate or temperature the car is in or used, how often it's used or driven, and how often there is someone in the passenger seat as well as the driver's, etc.

Even if you replaced the door struts every three years, at $100 for the set of six over those three years, that's not much different than the cost of oil or air filters. Speaking of which, with many of the wear and tear or regular maintenance items we can all decide how to alter the change out frequency. For example, I've changed my air filter every oil change even though it's not likely necessary and I've changed my fuel filter far less than suggested (not ideal, but there it is).

What's that line about expensive toys or hobbies? If you can't afford to put new tires on it when they need it or have to be concerned about what the price of gas is, you bought the wrong hobby.

With the relatively low cost of many of these parts, you could have as many of them as your heart desires if you just once convinced your wife/partner/significant other that you don't need to remodel the living room/paint/buy a new couch. Now there's a place to try and use some common cents.
    I'm pretty sure they'll go a lot longer than three years but please remember folks this price is only for the first batch of one hundred and they're about half sold out now. I was originally going to run the special for the month of December for the 100th anniversary but I didn't get the production batch until 2 weeks ago so I'll extend the sale into January but once they're gone the price will go up. The normal price will be about $140- for the set which I think is still a bargain for the quality of these "gas springs". Please no sniveling (I don't mean you Jonathan) when it's over as you've been warned and I need to make a living wage here

My VIN:    03037

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Yes I'll hold a set for you for the 9th of January right?
    Rob
    Yes! Thanks Rob~awesome and much thanks! Happy New Year! -Bri
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast