FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: P.J.GRADY Lift Piston feedback wanted

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our newest and best "gas spring's" and I'm glad you liked them.

I just did a headcount and there's ONLY FIVE SETS OF PISTONS LEFT FROM OUR FIRST BATCH SO THIS SALE IS ALMOST OVER.

Won't stay $100- (or 100 years old now that we're 101) forever so you can't say I didn't warn you guys!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by skill View Post
    I think it was a really smart buy and awesome deal for $100 for a complete lift pistons set. I had recently bought from the dealer their set about eight months ago and the passenger strut lagged from the get-go leaving about a 8 inch difference. PJ Grady's Lift Pistons corrected this problem, opens the door all the way up smoothly, no bounce and without adjusting the torsion bar! -sKiLL

http://youtu.be/Bw5AFzvmXmA

My VIN:    4519

Hey Rob,

I'm planning to use them only in acceptable temps, but if you're curious to see what they do in the frigid temps we get up here, I'll put 'em on & test them.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I discovered today that my new PJ Grady lift pistons work the same in a 15 degree environment as they do in a 65 degree environment. No sag at all! They must have some kind of temperature compensating feature.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I discovered today that my new PJ Grady lift pistons work the same in a 15 degree environment as they do in a 65 degree environment.
    Pat, I forgot that you're in Michigan. I think you get the same brutal winter temps & snowfall as we get in upstate NY...hopefully not the same mount of salt dumped on the roads though!
    Was your video of the new struts in 65 degree temp?
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 01-25-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Pat, I forgot that you're in Michigan. I think you get the same brutal winter temps & snowfall as we get in upstate NY...hopefully not the same mount of salt dumped on the roads though!
    Was your video of the new struts in 65 degree temp?
    We sure do get brutal cold temps up here! My video was in a heated garage, roughly 65 degrees.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Ordered mine...

4 or less sets remaining.

Rob - without giving away your secrets - do the design improvements apply to all 6 struts, or just the door struts?

Thanks for the order Tom. Yes the improvements affect all the struts as each one was tweaked to my specifications which evolved over testing of different rates, opening pressures, temperatures, etc. Everything is a compromise but these struts have optimised the variables to work in the broadest temperature range possible. Of coarse there's always room for improvements and any developments which allow better functioning in our cars will be incorporated as they become available.

I am experimenting with a "Winter" version for Northerners who face severe winters but wish to avoid cold sagging and/or torsion bar adjustments. Although this current piston works well in a broad range of temps the "winter" version would optimise the function of the doors in severe cold conditions. It would also incorporate a feature to allow a higher charge without the risk of rocking at the top which my current design did not require.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Ordered mine...

4 or less sets remaining.

Rob - without giving away your secrets - do the design improvements apply to all 6 struts, or just the door struts?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Great news on the mods - thank you. Winter is hitting hard here in Los Angeles. It barely hit 72 degrees today - and it actually rained intermittently on the drive home. I considered chaining up- but it was too cold to get out of the car.

Ahem.

Actually Tom with all due respect the type of "Winter" I'm referring to is a little more severe than 72 Degrees. Feel free to use the summer version for the duration of your stay in LA!

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Great news on the mods - thank you. Winter is hitting hard here in Los Angeles. It barely hit 72 degrees today - and it actually rained intermittently on the drive home. I considered chaining up- but it was too cold to get out of the car.

Ahem.

Well, Rob - I'm not sure what the deal is but, I have had the strut kit on the car for a few weeks now and the door struts seem to be working smoother. Great, actually - and I haven't adjusted the driver torsion bar yet. I may wait until spring arrives and see how it does before I do any adjusting. As I mentioned earlier, I love the new hood and louver struts - I give them a 5+. I think I'm ready to give the door struts a full blown 5 now. I guess they just needed some action and time to break in.

Harold

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast