FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: P.J.GRADY Lift Piston feedback wanted

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Uh Oh 1st failure I hope. Driver door installed 6 months ago, used maybe 12 open and shuts.
    Strut is dead. Will contact Grady next week.

Steve

I need to reach out too. I got a set at our Spring Social and about 3-4 months in they don't hold the door open without assistance to the top (was working fine, started not to open all the way in July and August, so not temperature related like it would be with the season now).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Grover View Post
    I need to reach out too. I got a set at our Spring Social and about 3-4 months in they don't hold the door open without assistance to the top (was working fine, started not to open all the way in July and August, so not temperature related like it would be with the season now).
    If it's both of them that would be odd as we've sold hundreds with very few issues. Two on one car would be a first. Are you quite sure your torsion bars were not set up on the soft side from the beginning? Perhaps you should PM me so we can figure out the best way of checking the cause?
    Rob

My VIN:    4519

I unboxed my set this morning and plan to install them today.

Just want to confirm (and not rely on stare & compare,) which set goes where?

Starting at the top:

No label/part#
    108209G
    100592G

IMG_2715.jpg

(I'm guessing: Louvre, trunk, door.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post

I'm guessing: Louvre, trunk, door.
    Correction: by comparison it appears the longest are for the trunk.

My VIN:    16409

Yes, the longest ones are for the trunk. They use the little clips like the door struts use.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Yes, the longest ones are for the trunk. They use the little clips like the door struts use.
    Thanks Chris...

I installed the door and trunk pistons today.

My passenger door seemed to fly up (and didn't slow down at the top,) drivers side went about 50%-75% open. I swapped sides and they both open about 75%. It almost seems like the torsion bars are out of adjustment as well as one piston being stronger than the other. This week I'm going to see how each door "hangs" without the pistons attached, then do another comparison test.

The trunk pistons take the hood after I lift it just past halfway. Near the end, it slows down but opens fully with a nice cushioned stop....I really like that part!
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 10-30-2016 at 08:21 PM.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I installed the door and trunk pistons today.

My passenger door seemed to fly up (and didn't slow down at the top,) drivers side went about 50%-75% open. I swapped sides and they both open about 75%. It almost seems like the torsion bars are out of adjustment as well as one piston being stronger than the other. This week I'm going to see how each door "hangs" without the pistons attached, then do another comparison test.

The trunk pistons take the hood after I lift it just past halfway. Near the end, it slows down but opens fully with a nice cushioned stop....I really like that part!
    Yeah, at first installation my door pistons didn't work like they are described, so I immediately took them off and waited until I could get my torsion bars checked and adjusted, as I knew one of them was off. Then I reinstalled the pistons and they worked flawlessly.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I took the door pistons off to see how the doors hang without assist; they don't stay open at all, both doors rest on the striker pins. The passenger door has a bit more tension on it but not enough to lift it off the pin.

I swapped the lift pistons with the old ones and will reinstall the new ones after a torsion bar adjustment.

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD001815

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    We've shipped a decent amount of our new lift piston kits and was hoping to get feedback from owners to see if we got it right. I'd like to know what you think of the opening rate (time to open), charge rate (too strong, too weak, just right), appearance and any observations you'd care to offer.
    While the door piston's are the main concern because ot the variables involved I'm also looking for feedback on the hood & sunshade pistons too.
    Rob Grady
    Got them from you over a month ago and they act like the car was Brand new... Good Stuff... :-)

Tod Craver

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast